Steering box overhaul.

mechanical horse

Steering box overhaul.

Post by mechanical horse »

Gidday all,
Have just finished overhauling the steering box and the pedal box on my Haffie which resulted in a successful job. Had some drama splitting the two components as the output shaft from the steering box was seized in the long housing of the pedal box. A couple of days with the hydraulic press and the oxy torch putting some heat to the problem it finally let go. Before I got my hands dirty I tried to have a look at this job in the service manual which is available on line, and although it shows every conceivable thing you would want to do on a Haffie, it shows nothing about overhauling the steering box. Does anyone know why? I wonder if somebody has borrowed this part of the manual and hasn't returned it, like used to happen in every workshop I have ever worked in.
Regards Rick.
heinkeljb

Re: Steering box overhaul.

Post by heinkeljb »

I don't remember seeing anything in the repair manual about service / repair of the steering box, although the parts manual does show an exploded diagram of it.

There are a lot of things in both the repair manual and the part manual that are either missing or not clear or wrong - just like any other workshop manual for any other vehicle!!

Some things you just have to work out!

Well done on the rebuild of your steering box anyway....

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!