Yokohama tyres from Japan

bernard callahan

Yokohama tyres from Japan

Post by bernard callahan »

Ordered 5 X Yokohama 12 X 1.45 off road tyres off eBay from Japan. Total cost was $735.00 Australian delivered to my front door. I think that is a good price. They arrived in 4 days
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
AustHaflinger

Re: Yokohama tyres from Japan

Post by AustHaflinger »

They are a nice tyre - I have 4 of them. The main issue is that the tread is not as aggressive as I would like and they are a bit smaller than the originals but they are a good tyre for a Haffie.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
brad

Post by brad »

Good stuff,

I got 4 of them 6 months ago and delivered to work in 5 days. Not bad considering Aust Post take 4 days to deliver a letter 2 kms away.

I have not used them yet but they will be ready when I need them.

Brad
Brad

2 x 700AP 1971 , 1973 Rebuilding
1966 Ex Army Haffy 101823 Rebuilding
1966 Hafflinger Trailer 101889
2 x 700AP Scrapping
Ferret Scout Car Mk1 115191
Ferret Scout Car Mk2 115318
Ferret Scout Car Mk2 115360
5 Army Mokes with Trailers
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I've used 13 inch tyres with as an aggressive tread (M&S), but found they were not as capable when doing trials sections as the original 12 inch Semprit's / Mayola's even when those are worn down.
I was getting far more wheel spin and no grip situations.

Having said that, the M&S tyres ride on the road far better than the original tyres. Less "see / sawing" of the steering wheel whilst driving.

So doing long trip like going to Holland and back, I use the (M&S) tyres, but doing trials / punch hunts I use the original tyres (don't fancy having to replace them soon - last time I looked, Mayola's were about £90 a piece!)

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
bernard callahan

Post by bernard callahan »

Yes I purchased mayola tyres from Scotland, they were 90 pound to. The freight to get them to Australia and get them through customs was very expensive
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I sent my 12" wheels and Yokohama tyres down to the tyre place to get them put on - they correctly raised the issue that the rims are not suited for tubeless tyres and I should put the tubes in - I indicated that my preference is to go tubeless but not if would be a safety issue. I am also concerned that the rough interior of tubeless tyres will slowly wear through the tubes - which is quite common here with offroad tyres.

Any way I have left it up to the tyre fitter to use his discretion. Has any one fitted tubeless to the standard 12" rims and regularly use them - any issues?

Like many on here I went the Yokohamas as there is little else available with some sort of offroad tread - though really the Yokohamas are too small for the Haffie (compared with the Semerits) but when there is little else there are few options and my semperit tyres to really be safe on the road.

I will put up some pics when I get them back.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

I'd estimate I've got just under 150 miles on my DOT rated ATV radials, quite a bit of it on the road :(. Haven't had any issues running them tubeless.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Czechsix wrote:I'd estimate I've got just under 150 miles on my DOT rated ATV radials, quite a bit of it on the road :(. Haven't had any issues running them tubeless.
Thanks on the tubeless usage - unfortunately there is no such thing as a DOT rated ATV radial in Aust or I would consider Black Diamond tyres - also quality ATV tyres are twice the price of Maxxis 14" mud tyres here.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Yah, no problems. I know you guys don't have any crossover certification for DOT, but thought that it'd help to know they'll still seal fine to the rim.

I don't know if you can get them, I don't see why not, but I'm pretty sure that I can get tubes that are radial rated over here. The question is whether or not they can be had in 12", I know I'm running them in some of my 20" deuce and a half tires. Never had an issue with them either.

I'd still like to see how well those Yoko's work out, might be worth trying to get them over here, especially since I'm sure they're much much better on road.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I went down to pick up the wheels a little while ago and as expected not yet ready. To go tubeless that had to order special tubeless valve stems to fit the large holes in the haffie rims. Once they had them they fitted a tyre but considered that are too unsafe and will be fitting the tubes.

The tubes will be Ok with road pressures and onroad use but may rub through if used offroad with low tyre pressures. I will pick them up in a while so we see how they go.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Got the wheels back - people in Aust will know it costs about $30 to take a tyre off, put a new one on and balance it - so expecting about $120 - actual cost was only $10 per wheel - so a real win there $40 for the full job - why would you do it yourself.

Now the tyres themselves - wow they are small - in my view too small even for a Haffie.

The Yokos compared to my 14" Hankooks that I normally run.
20161118_165044[1].jpg
The Yokos compared to a Semperit - I doubt the diffs could handle it if I had a flat on the Yokos and had to use my Semperit as the spare.
20161118_165136[1].jpg
The Yokos on the car - makes it look like a LWB Haffie
20161118_174424[1].jpg
I went for a drive and other than turning in a bit quicker it felt much the same.

However the much smaller tyres really slowed things down - I can normally cruise at 70-80kph with the engine 4000-4500rpm - with these tyres I am at 65kph with the engine closing in on the redline - so max speed much slower and revs much higher - so cruising is about 60 with higher revs - even with 75kph hub gears.

So really with these tyres being so small even compared with the Semperits, I dont think these tyres are suitable for every day use in a Haffie, particularly if you do not have 75kph hub gears - it is just too slow. Might be OK for use on a farm or mild offroad work and short trips onroad but these are just too small.

I will leave them on for a while to see how they go longer term and then put the 14" back on.

Has anyone else actually put the Yokos on and how have you found them?

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Tyre side walls are based on a percentage of the tyre width, so your 145's are likely to have a tyre wall height of either 70% or 80% of the 145 number. If you could find that tyre was wider like a 155 or 165, or even 175 you would get a tyre that was much nearer the size of the Sempits.

I know the Haflinger was shipped / specified with a 145 Semprit, but I think it was probably an 80% ratio or even a weird size 90% which is why it is no longer available.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:I know the Haflinger was shipped / specified with a 145 Semprit,
John
I didn't realise that - all my Semperits are 165s but checking the vehicle specs document I have it does specify 145 or 165 x 12 tyres. I wonder what determined a 145 or 165 fitment - I suppose the 145s went on early Haffs.

So if you had 145 Semperit,s the Yokohamas would be a good alternative as there would not be a lot of difference in the height of the wall.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)