Spring compressor.

mechanical horse

Spring compressor.

Post by mechanical horse »

Hey all,
Just a photo of the spring compressor that I made to refit the coil springs, shockers and the limit straps. The rear straps are made from 250 KG X 9G aviation tie down straps. I think they will be strong enough for a 700 KG vehicle.
Regards Rick.
image.jpeg
AustHaflinger

Re: Spring compressor.

Post by AustHaflinger »

You dont need a spring compressor - just undo the straps and disconnect the shocks and they fall out. Putting back together the weight of the vehicle compresses the springs enough to then get the strap and shock back on.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

If you don't have the platform on, you will need some method of compressing the springs a bit in order to get the limit straps in place. The shocks will go on easily enough with or without the platform.

Did you make the straps yourself? Are they the same length as the original ones? There are two different ends fitted to Haflingers - a small hole end bracket and a version with a larger hole with a spacer that fits in on later vehicles.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
mechanical horse

Post by mechanical horse »

Hey John,
You are right ,with my chassis up on stands with no body or anything on it there is not enough weight to compress the springs just that bit to get it all connected up, so a compressor is needed.
I made the straps for the rear, the front ones were OK, and they are the same length as original. After looping the length of strap through the ends there is 4 thickness of that strapping all sewn together to form a solid length, and the ends of the strap heated and sealed to stop fraying. Then they were dipped into Raven Oil to dye them black and they now look like the real deal.
Regards Rick.