Steering linkages and blood loss.

Vampyr

Steering linkages and blood loss.

Post by Vampyr »

After bandaging the hands, felt like sharing the memories of what other machines produce such high levels of blood loss to the hands. there are only 2 other expierence's that compare, a. working on any vehicle made in England, and b, operating a .50 calibre machine gun. :evil:
AustHaflinger

Re: Steering linkages and blood loss.

Post by AustHaflinger »

Ok - spill the beans - what happened??
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

He forgot to keep his fingers away from the pointy bits! LOL!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Did you try to open the engine top cover with the engine running and get your finger touched up by the fan - did that once and only once luckily no damage - need to get that fan guard ;)
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

No, started the day jacking up the haffy to put on stands and change out the shockies, new ones from Pedders. all good until the trolley jack failed borrowed a second one, anyway slipped with the pliers taking out the split pins 3 times all at the top mount. (1)Acceptable loss of blood to knuckles very happy went onto re doing valve clearance all good. Took off the front bash plate, rubber mount next to l/hand front broke, hand and spanner into side of Haffy, (2) Increased blood loss and some colourful expletives. Tools now hot as it is 37 degree's C. Start on linkages , no more blood from split pins but hammer damage to knuckles, refer to Item 2. Successful replacement, tightening on nuts and socket slides off hand hits stand, back to item 2. Thought process and heat dictate break and 2 cold peroni's, Refitting wheels and dog knocks over Peroni 3, exceptional use of colourful expletives.
Currently blood pressure operating within acceptable parameters and fluid loss due to heat has been rectified, and that bloody dog of my son's is never travelling in my haffy, I can not abide alcohol abuse. Vampyr
mechanical horse

Post by mechanical horse »

Hey Danny,
I always found that anyone connected to a set of tracks always wasted the beer, whereas us Grunts never wasted a drop. I have found on my Haffie that where there should be a split pin, there was actually, what looked like a small peg or pin which was a really tight fit in the hole. Initially I thought it was a good idea, you just tap it out with a pin punch. How wrong I was as I have never been able to knock one out no matter how hard I thumped it and I have always had to drill them out. To do the top nuts on the shockers it would be easier to take off the platform. I think my shockers were original so I think these pins were fitted from new. Needless to say they were all replaced with split pins.
Regards Rick.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Not good :o

:lol:
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

When I got Lurch, I did a quick rec round and took it for an MOT (Yearly road worthy Test). Tester looked it over and failed it on, I think, 12 missing split pins! All the ones on the shocks and steering joints. Then there was also the King pins and steering idler bushes, brakes out of adjustments - although it pulled up in a straight line, they just didn't provide enough stopping power for his machine.

So I sympathise with you over missing split pins and their inaccessibility! I had to wind a couple of the nut off and then find the filled up hole in order to either punch or drill out the remains of the split pins depending on what worked!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!