Trouble mounting atv tires onto stock rims

audiocontr

Trouble mounting atv tires onto stock rims

Post by audiocontr »

Are you using tubes under your new tires on stock rims? I cannot get the inner portion to expand and seat
AustHaflinger

Re: Trouble mounting atv tires onto stock rims

Post by AustHaflinger »

audiocontr wrote:I cannot get the inner portion to expand and seat
Not quite following? Do you mean you cannot get the bead to seat on the rim - if so a high volume air supply will do that along with correctly lubed rims and bead. Are you removing the valve when trying the seat the bead - leaving the tyre valve in restricts the air flow too much - so remove the tyre valve pump the tyre up until the bead seals (you may have to manually move the bead near the rim if you do not have high air pressure and volume) then deflate (the bead will stay sticked) - insert the tyre valves and reinflate to your required pressure

Also if you are game - you can do this - most use lighter fluid - make sure the tyre valve is out and the lighter fluid in in the tyre not on the outside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5lZ3vLizyM

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

CAUTION !!!!!!! do not use above the maximum inflation pressure for the tyre to seat the bead .
soapy water , very slippery soapy water is your best friend .

the explosive way with a flamabable is very risky . extreme caution , death is a bit permanent .

kerry
ex Tasmanian Haflinger agent .
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
audiocontr

Post by audiocontr »

I cannot get these tires to seat on the rim, even after soapy oceans of water and industrial compressors through a non valve stemmed hole. Even tried the 2" ratchet strap around the circumference and warming them up.

Any issue to running tubes?
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Have you tried rubber sealing goo, as used by tyre fitting places? Enough of that to seal any small gaps that are just big enough to allow air to escape.
I have tubes in a set of wheels because the surface the beads seal on are very ropey - no problems. Watch out for punctures though! More likely to suffer punctures from grit between tube and tyre when running low pressures and obviously smaller diameter thorns / nails will produce a flat tire not just one that goes down.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

audiocontr wrote:I cannot get these tires to seat on the rim, even after soapy oceans of water and industrial compressors through a non valve stemmed hole. Even tried the 2" ratchet strap around the circumference and warming them up.

Any issue to running tubes?
OK, so what exactly is happening? The sidewalls aren't meeting the bead at all, on both sides? Or is one side seated, and the other side won't come up?

What tire are you using?

For the XTR's that I'm using, on the stock wheels (which are probably 3 inches narrower than the recommended width) they seated no problems. Or not major problems. I seated one side, had the wheel on a stump so that the tire itself wasn't bearing any weight. Tires had been in direct sun for a couple of hours, and they were new, so nice and pliable. I didn't even pull the valve core, just clamped on and ran the air while pressing on the outer circumference of the tire, and of course water and dish soap. No need for strapping it. Prior to that I had sanded and cleaned the wheel bead, filed down the sharp edges, etc.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch