Shocks?

Rabbit 16v

Shocks?

Post by Rabbit 16v »

Im not sure if this is the correct area to be asking, but I didnt see a suspension section. As some of you may know, I am doing a fair amount of work to my Haffies. One of which I think would benefit from newer shocks. I was thinking Bilstein. Has anyone used B8 performance VW Beetle front Bilstein shocks? I ordered some B6 shocks designed for stock height and they were a bit long. About 60mm I would guess. The B8 shocks (all of this is VW beetle application) and it seems they are designed for lowered beetles which make work perfectly. I wont know until Monday because thats when the shocks arrive.

Any ideas? Has anyone done this?
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
AustHaflinger

Re: Shocks?

Post by AustHaflinger »

I had the same issue as you when I got my Haflinger - I put this post up back then viewtopic.php?f=7&t=449

Some options - the VW shocks were close but not quite right and expensive to take a punt.

I ended up getting my shocks from Haflinger Technik for a much better price than I good do locally and they have been fine - working really well.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Original Haflinger shocks have damping in both directions and some modern shock have minimal rebound damping, this can put a sudden "snap" on the limit straps, which is why they fail.

Let us know if the ones you have ordered work correctly.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Techmogogy

Post by Techmogogy »

The dual dampening is key. The VW shocks may have it too
--------------
72 Pathfinder Hafi
75 710M Pinzgauer 2.7i
96 350GDT
Rabbit 16v

Post by Rabbit 16v »

I dont think you can get Bilsteins that arent dual dampening. I did a super scientific test of feeling the resistance between the stock shocks and the VW shocks that I got that were too long and the Bilsteins were a little stiffer if testing the fronts vs the stock Haffie shocks. The VW rear shocks were way too stiff.

So, on Monday, we shall see if the B8 performance shock for lowered VWs is just the ticket.
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Why not just get the proper Sachs shockies from Haflinger Technik - as I said I have them and I have put up about 5000km on them over the last couple of years and they have been great - my car runs 14" rims and M&S radials - with 762cc has a bit more performance over standard Hafs and when tuned will pull 90kph on the straight - the Sacks shocks have controlled the suspension well on and off road.

You can obviously try to get others as I initially did but it was a bit of mucking around and you could end up spending money on something that ultimately wont work well.

Good luck with it.

garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Rabbit 16v

Post by Rabbit 16v »

Ok, I admit I am pretty jealous of that hp number!!

its really not a bother to check these shocks since everything is very well taken apart. Im not opposed to spending money with Dale. We actually have a running order almost reaching €1k.

I can get the bilsteins within two days. They have a lifetime warranty. Sachs shocks would be at least a week to acquire and they do not offer lifetime warranty. I plan on keeping my Haffie for a very long time. Lifetime warranty is important to me as well as availability of parts.
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
Rabbit 16v

Post by Rabbit 16v »

Ok, got the Bilstein yesterday. It is an exact fit. The rebound damping is not as resistant as the compression damping, but I think it will work fine unless anyone else has another opinion?

They are quite spendy at $85 each, but also carry a lifetime warranty, so that makes me more comfortable with it.

Chris
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
Rabbit 16v

Post by Rabbit 16v »

Update on this. These shocks are perfect. Excellent ride! Here is the part number for anyone that may be curious. NOTE: two of them came with the correct tubes where the bolts go through and two did not. Same part number. so you may need to remove the original tubes from your old shocks. Just keep that in mind before you install them.
Attachments
IMG_20180307_173022447_HDR[1].jpg
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms