Front brakes

wojo12

Re: Front brakes

Post by wojo12 »

Hafie is back together and on the road again. Refilled rear diff on level ground. Test drove for 8 or so kilometres. No new or large leaks, just the small, old leaks under engine - but they're a job for another day.

Thank you heaps, to all who helped me on this quest with advice and encouragement. I should now confess that I had a friendly mechanic do the work - approx 2 hours labour, which is pretty good considering he's never heard of a Haflinger before!!

Cheers

John Wood
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Just be aware that while the rear diff and gearbox have their own fill and drain holes, internally the two are joined so oil flows between them.

So when filling fill one and then fill the other, then go back and check the other as some oil will have flowed internally and go back and check the other one, so check levels twice one after the other on filling.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

The simplest way to fill the gearbox / diff unit is to use the filler hole just in front of the left hand side axle TIL oil dribbles out. Put the filler nut back in, drive round the block. Recheck the oil level to makes sure it dribbles out.
Driving round the block will distribute the oil to both gearbox and diff correctly.

When draining the oil, go for a nice long drive to get the oil hot, then undo BOTH drain plugs.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!