Steering Axle - Adjustment

cahafi

Steering Axle - Adjustment

Post by cahafi »

Recently replaced all of my tie rods and a drag links, as they were original and very loose. Prior the steering axle (center pivot) seemed tight. Now with the steering linkage tight the steering axle seems to have a little play. Is there a way to adjust/tighten or should I just replace with new bushings and seals.

Thanks.
73 RHD Polycab Haflinger
75 Volvo TGB11
heinkeljb

Re: Steering Axle - Adjustment

Post by heinkeljb »

If you are talking about the pivot point that is on the front of the front Differential casing and is the pivot point for all three steering linkages. Then sorry there is no adjustment to take out any play in the bushes as they are like the King pin bushes. Machined phosphor bronze bushes and hardened steel pin.
Replacement is the only option.
Just watch out that there are two bushes in there and top one comes out upwards and bottom one comes out downwards and that there is a machined ridge in between the two bushes in the aluminium casting.

There is a tool designed to remove the bushes, but as I didn't know they came out in opposite directions I couldn't get the tool to work properly for me, so I ended up using a hacksaw and cutting through the bushes wall (and the casting ridge) and then collapsing the bushes in on themselves.

John
Steering bush removal tool
Steering bush removal tool
Last edited by heinkeljb on Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling correction
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
cahafi

Re: Steering Axle - Adjustment

Post by cahafi »

John,

Thank you for the information. I found that the nut holding the assembly was very loose. Tightening seems to have pulled everything together for now.

Might order up a replacement kit for the bushing to be safe.
73 RHD Polycab Haflinger
75 Volvo TGB11