Brakes Abutment Plate

FosterTas

Brakes Abutment Plate

Post by FosterTas »

I am restoring my Haflinger and currently attempting to get the breaks working. I do not understand the function of the abutment plate and should they be present on front and rear wheels?

Craig
Craig Foster
Hobart
Tasmania
AustHaflinger

Re: Brakes Abutment Plate

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hi Craig - I am not sure what you mean by abutment plate - are you able to post a pic.

The front brakes are the same as any drum brake system - nothing special there.

The rear brakes are different in that they have that stupid lever system on both sides of the backing plate to operate the handbrake.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Re: Brakes Abutment Plate

Post by heinkeljb »

Haflinger brakes are similar to any other drum brake system fitted to any other vehicle. Wheel cylinder has a spring and two pistons. fluid is forced between the pistons pushing them outwards, these push on the brake shoes which are pivoted at the top of the drum forcing them outwards which brings the friction material on the outside of the brake shoes in to contact with the inside of the drum thus providing friction which slows the vehicle down.
Rear brakes have the additional levers that operate from the hand brake cable. The cable pulls a lever on the outside of the drum towards the front of the vehicle. This translates inside the drum to pushing a lever which is pivoted on the trailing shoe of the drum. This lever being pivoted, then pushes an equaliser bar just above the wheel cylinder that pushes both shoes evenly against the inside of the drum thus providing enough friction to hold the drum stationary.

As suggested above by Gary, if you can provide a picture of the part you are having trouble with, we can try to explain things in more detail related to that part.

Pictures of your Haf in what ever state it is in are also welcome.
John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!