Tie rod end outer body sizes (too bulky)

poly_cab_hafs

Tie rod end outer body sizes (too bulky)

Post by poly_cab_hafs »

Folks

Quick question about tie rod ends. I am sure someone has had the same issue.

I have purchased a number of tie rod ends that are listed on the various compatibility charts.

All thread diameters etc are fine.

The problem is that the physical size (of the outer tie rod body) seems to vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

As a result some will not fit side by side in the central steering arm. i.e. they will touch each other.

Does anyone know which manufacturer makes tie rod that are not too bulky and don't cause the problem above.

cheers
1973 Polycab - LWB
1965 Polycab - SWB
heinkeljb

Re: Tie rod end outer body sizes (too bulky)

Post by heinkeljb »

I am sorry, I can remember which manufacturer I used when I replaced them on Lurch. It was definitely one of the ones from the "alternative" list that is available in the documentation section.

if the interference is only by a small amount, then maybe you could use an angle grinder just to take off the places where they touch. Obviously, you don't want to take off so much metal that the ball is exposed, but I am sure that between the two ball joints you could lose 2 to 3 mm with out an issue.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
mechanical horse

Re: Tie rod end outer body sizes (too bulky)

Post by mechanical horse »

I had the same problem. All of my tie rod ends were stuffed and after chasing replacements and wanting to buy "local" I fitted VW ones. The threads were the same as was the taper, the lengths were right and I had a good amount of adjustment on them. They were however slightly larger in the diameter. It was OK while my vehicle was off the ground, which it was during the rebuild for months and months, but when it was finally on the ground the steering became really tight and I found that the 2 centre ball joints on the steering idler were rubbing against each other. The outer ones were OK as they aren't close to anything and were not rubbing.
I spent quite some time decreasing the diameter of the 2 centre joints and had to take a lot of material off each of the joints. When I finally had clearance when I moved from lock to lock I was unhappy about how strong the actual ball joint was with so much material removed.Steering ball joints take a hell of a hammering when a vehicle is being used in rough conditions and I finally replaced the 2 joints on the steering idler with genuine joints and left the VW joints on the outer joints.
I don't know where you are, but here in Australia I had to get parts from Austria or Scotland at that time, but now I can buy "local" from Bernard in Victoria.After looking at the extensive list of parts that I bought from overseas, I have found that all of these items I can now buy "locally".
Regards Rick.