free tyres

ogdenenterprise

free tyres

Post by ogdenenterprise »

I have been offered some free tyres, they are virtually brand new. They come fitted to new tractors for ease of transportation, then
the customer chooses what size of rim and tyre, to which the tractor is going to be used for.
The tyres are Bridgestone 5.00-12 lugged tread, will these fit the standard 12"Haflinger rim?

Dave
heinkeljb

Re: free tyres

Post by heinkeljb »

I think you could probably fit them on a standard Haflinger rim, the real question would be what sort of width rim are they designed for. The Haf's rims are quite narrow, so putting a tyre on that is designed for a wide rim will make the tyre squeeze up in the middle of the tread, i.e. increase it's overall diameter. This might make it to tall to fit in the Haf's wheel arches.
Only real way to find out would be to put on on and see how if fits. If it is much larger than the original tyre, you might find that when off road and the axle is at it's highest point going over a mound and turning that it scrapes the bodywork.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
ogdenenterprise

I have had a look on the Bridgestone web site and it gives 2 different diameter sizes, one is 550mm and the other is 580mm
My daughters father in law who has offered the tyres is going to call next week so I can have a look at one.
I was at my birthday celebration at the weekend (65) and the conversation turned to Haflingers, I told him I had just ordered
some new tyres with the original semprit tread pattern, when he asked what size they were, he then told me about the tyres.

Dave
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I suspect that would be OK for an unregistered Haffie being used on a farm but not road legal for an ordinary vehicle - even for a Haflinger the speed rating will be too low - if they are what I think they are, they would be good for John's offroad rallying they would be great in the mud.

I cannot see any reason why a 5.00 would not fit a standard rim - I think the Australia OEM sand tyres that were fitted new as an alternative to Semperets were about 5.00.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I am sure you could get them on a rim, it's a question of if the rim is too narrow then the bead of the tyre does not fit in correct place on the rim and obviously it may or may not work as a tubeless tyre so be prepared to fit tubes. The other issue is as I pointed out, when you pump up the tyre the diameter will increase as the width of the tyre is constrained. This probably won't cause any issues, but just be aware that on extremes of wheel travel you may get some scraping.
As mentioned, probably not road legal but I don't know the local regulations, so check before you drive with them on the road.

The Haf's I have seen - few on Youtube with those types of tyre really do go through difficult places as they give loads of grip. Some of our trials / safari rallies ban them as they can give an unfair advantage and if spun can chew up the ground causing damage to the site.

Get a pair to sample and that way you can fit them and actually have a drive and see how rough they make the Haf feel!! The major downside to driving with an aggressive tread pattern.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
ogdenenterprise

I mentioned that I have just ordered a full set (5) of the semprit tread type tyres, these will be fitted for normal everyday use. I only have 1 spare rim so I would have to find 4 more for a full set to try them. It was just the offer of the tyres, I'm a Yorkshire man so I never pass on something free. I remember we had a set of continental tractor type tyres fitted to a Haflinger when I lived in the UK. The tyres just rubbed on full lock, my minds a bit blurry now but I think they were 7.00 12, we still used them on the road and never had any problems and never got stopped by the boys in blue.

Dave
ogdenenterprise

I had the 5 tyres delivered on Saturday. I only have 1 spare rim so I will try one of the tyres on that one.
If it fits ok I might be in the market for 4 other ones.

Dave
Attachments
Tyres (3).JPG
ogdenenterprise

A photo of the Haflinger I mentioned in the UK. Its me driving when I would try anything.

Dave
Attachments
1.jpg
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

They look really nice and sharp whilst they are new, I wonder how well they will wear. When they are worn, they will obviously put more rubber on the road so will feel better when driven on tarmac although I doubt their wet weather handling will be much cop.
Still should make off road stuff really easy!

John

ogdenenterprise

I have been told that they have a few sets of the tractor tyres left, I'm not sure how much they want for them.
Would anybody be interested in a set? If so I will ask the question.

Dave
ogdenenterprise

I was talking to my daughters father in law. last night. he said, I can have as many sets as I want for free.
If any one wants a set they would only cost you delivery freight to your address.

Dave
ogdenenterprise

I finally got round to having the tyre fitted to the spare rim as per the photos.

Dave
Attachments
IMG_3434.JPG
IMG_3433.JPG
IMG_3432.JPG
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

They look great for muddy offroad work and for Farmer Brown who is using his Haflinger as an alternative to a modern UTV side by side.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)