Suspension Straps

AustHaflinger

Suspension Straps

Post by AustHaflinger »

I went 4wding yesterday about 50kms out of town - was a very rocky area with the trail covered with gibber type stones and a few hole to drop wheels in.

Something I noticed was some knocking from underneath when wheels dropped into holes when moving at a bit of speed. I put this down to the suspension arms being forced down by the spring as the wheel went into the hole but then the stainless steel suspension check straps twanging tight and that is the noise.

I know some people have changed the stainless woven straps to ones made from some sort of nylon webbing (like seat belt webbing) so I am interested in the experiences from those who use their Haflingers off road and have nylon style suspension check straps to see if these also bang when they become tight when checking the downward movement of the suspension.

Thanks

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Re: Suspension Straps

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Gary,

Don't have nylon straps on Lurch, just the standard steel woven cable ones. Was just going to say, check the pivot points on your swing arms. The is likely to be some movement there, but it should not be a huge amount. The workshop manual even mentions it. I don't remember seeing an actual figure, so it is probably something you just look at and decide for your self if you think it is too much.
That would also make a knocking noise when the wheel drops or rises suddenly.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thanks John - they were OK last time I checked but will have a close look when I climb under the check the condition of the straps - I renewed them a few years back but they do not like it when suspension goes to full drop and fray easily.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Tajman

Post by Tajman »

Hello Garry,
I replaced my very rusty straps with Webbing material. I think its polyester. Known in the boating world as Jack Stays. They are lines that go fore and aft on the deck of a yacht so that you can clip your harness on to it and move along. It is approx inch wide and has breaking strain of 3000 kgs.
Mine were made with the material in 3 layers on an industrial sewing machine the same length as those I took off.
I have not done any major off road stuff but just yesterday I was driving on tarmac and hit a bad pothole that worried me. I stopped and inspected all the gear on that side and all seemed well. nearly clocked up 100 miles now!
Cheers, Jeff
Attachments
IMG_20200327_085346762.jpg
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thanks Jeff - they look very functional - they should have a little give at full extension where the steel straps have none and snap taught with no give, hence the bang.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)