Removing brake drums

tinkerer

Removing brake drums

Post by tinkerer »

Hi all,
Just a quick question. I am trying to start stripping the hubs, but I am stuck at the first hurdle. Wheel off, brakes adjusters backed off, drum retaining screw removed and steel shim removed, but the drum won't budge. I have tried to persuade it with a hide mallet but don't want to go too hard in case I damage it..
Am I missing something? Suggestions/ideas welcomed..

Thanks,

Stephen.
'73 703AP

"There is only one way to eat an elephant, one bite at a time.."
AustHaflinger

Re: Removing brake drums

Post by AustHaflinger »

Not missed anything. There could be a lip on the edge of the wear surface of the drum that is catching the brake shoes. As you have done let the shoes right off and constant gentle persuasion should to the trick.

As long as the drum will turn - then persuasion will work.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Stephen,

As Gary says, continue with what you are doing, along with trying to rotate the drum as you do so. Push the hub back on to the centre flange every once in a while to clear any brake shoe debris that you are creating whist trying to get the drum off.

Another way you could try if you have the bits lying around or think you will have the same issue on the other drums. You could make a a big puller from some box section and some threaded rod. Box section long enough to go across the diameter of the hub. two lengths of threaded rod to go as far as the back edge of the drum with either nuts and big washers or something similar to allow the threaded rods to hook on the edge of the drum. Then another threaded rod with a nut in the centre of the hub. Under the box section so that when you screw in the threaded rod (you could use two nuts locked together or welded on to the threaded rod), it applies pressure to the centre flange and pull the drum off. Now you can rotate the hub and wind up the nut increasing the tension on the hub a little bit at a time.

Which ever way, keep trying and the hub will eventually come off.

Good luck.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
tinkerer

Post by tinkerer »

Thanks guys. The drum seems to be stuck stuck solid on the hub so rhis is my main problem as I was wondering if I had missed something. If the drum was loose on the hub I would be happy enough and as Gary has suggested, it would be a matter of getting the drum over the unworn inner lip. The drum will not move at all, so I suppose persuasion and penetrative oil to break the bond.
I like the idea of the puller and I will make one up as I will have all 4 wheels to do.
I was starting with this corner, but the whole lot right to the gearbox will need removing for restoration on all 4 corners.. I can see some hefty bills for seal kits, bushes, pins and brake parts..
'73 703AP

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

If you can't even turn the drum on the hub, then along with puller type unit you could add some heat from an electric heat gun. That would make the drum expand, maybe just enough to allow you to turn it back and forth a bit.

If things are really tight then make your puller with four legs rather than just two.

Maybe if you have taken the body off and the engine you could stand the "chassis" on one side with both the front and back hubs in trays of diesel - It will ruin the brake shoes, but I am guessing they are going to be replaced anyway after all this.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
tinkerer

Post by tinkerer »

heinkeljb wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:36 pm If you can't even turn the drum on the hub, then along with puller type unit you could add some heat from an electric heat gun. That would make the drum expand, maybe just enough to allow you to turn it back and forth a bit.
The drum turns fine as I have adjusted the shoes away from the drum, so it turns freely. It is simply stuck to the hub, so I need to break the bond. I have hit it with a hide mallet all around the drum to try to get it moving. Perhaps a little heat around the drum might be the answer..
Thank,

Stephen.
'73 703AP

tinkerer

Post by tinkerer »

Success!! I put a little heat on the brake drum and it was enough to release it from the hub.
Thanks all for the help..

Stephen.
'73 703AP

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Well done, only three more to do!

John

tinkerer

Post by tinkerer »

I spent a little time in work today practising my fabrication and come up with a puller for the other 3 drums. It is a little close to the hub, but still works a treat..

Stephen.
Attachments
20210827_195522.jpg
20210827_195512.jpg
20210827_195439.jpg
'73 703AP

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

That should make light work of getting a drum off or three! Just remember some heat might be needed to get the ridge of the drum over on t the brake shoes, or it might just rip the brake shoes to shreds.

John

tinkerer

Post by tinkerer »

heinkeljb wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:43 pm That should make light work of getting a drum off or three! Just remember some heat might be needed to get the ridge of the drum over on t the brake shoes, or it might just rip the brake shoes to shreds.
Absolutely John. The puller would be capable of exerting a lot of force, but I only want to put a little pressure on, and then some heat and a few taps with the mallet. Hopefully, that should move everything the right direction.

Stephen.
'73 703AP