Front Suspension Arm Fulcrum O Rings

AustHaflinger

Front Suspension Arm Fulcrum O Rings

Post by AustHaflinger »

As we all should know the suspension fulcrum pins are lubricated from the diff oil through little holes - to prevent leaks there are o rings either side of the hole in the fulcrum pin. If I remember correctly these o rings have a square cross section but I cannot recall.

A few years back when I rebuilt my front end, I replaced all the o rings with genuine Haflinger items but they have continued to leak. I have placed sponge foam between the front bash plate and the swing arm pins to soak up any leakage but I still get a big oil stain on the concrete after a long drive.

Clearly the fulcrum pins continue to leak. As it is relatively easy job to pull the front fulcrum pins out, I was thinking of doing with and putting in new o rings of a slightly larger cross section. My local engineering place has not heard of square cross section O rings so I would have to use normal 0 section O rings.

Has anyone used normal 0 rings in this application and did it work OK.

Thanks

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Re: Front Suspension Arm Fulcrum O Rings

Post by heinkeljb »

I am sure there are square cross section 'O' rings, but I don't think they were used on a Haflinger. More likely, the normal round cross section one have just changed shape due to pressure and wear.

Part of the problem is the fact that you get wear on the pins and bushes which, even the manual mentions, but says it gets to a certain point and then tendsto stay at that point. So that means that even the designer knew that the design had flaws! I doubt if you keep to the original that you will ever stop that leaking.

One of the European suppliers has re-made the pins and bushes and change the deisgn of them to either make it chaeper to manufacture or to try and solve the leak isuse or both!y

I would just use ordinary 'O' rings but you might have to replace them relativley quickly.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Re: Front Suspension Arm Fulcrum O Rings

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thanks John - I will try normal 0 rings and see how I go. There did not seem to be much wear on the pins or the housing so maybe fresh o rings will help.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)