Haflinger wheels in 12", 13" and 14"

walderse

Haflinger wheels in 12", 13" and 14"

Post by walderse »

Hello to all,
I found this link on one of the European Haflinger sites. Thought it might be a useful reference.

http://www.trucktrial.at/Haflingerteile.153.0.html

Hope this helps.

Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
heinkeljb

Re: Haflinger wheels in 12", 13" and 14"

Post by heinkeljb »

Very nice, but being metal they will weight a fair amount which will make postage / shipping quite expensive. That on top of the cost of them might make them too expensive to buy other than as a "Collect" item.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Just been looking at the picture of the Haflinger in the above site. Looked a bit harder at this picture as there appear to be a few differences between it and my engine. Then I noticed the HT leads!
timing seems 180 degrees out.jpg
timing seems 180 degrees out.jpg (93.83 KiB) Viewed 1716 times
Is this just because it is an early one or am I missing something?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi John,
This is a "TR" engine which doesn't typically look different from the standard Haf engine but this example has a gawdy paint job and incorrect aftermarket (or repurposed) HT wires. Specifically, to what difference in the HT wires are you referring?
Cheers,
Steve
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

The HT leads are supplying the wrong cylinders.

On my Haflinger, the turret on the Left hand side of the distributor supplies the LH cylinder. The turret on the right hand side of the distributor supplies the RH cylinder. In the picture they are the other way around.

The actual HT leads are just modern HT leads so nothing particularly wrong with them.

John

HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi John,

If your LH turret HT wire lines up to the LH cylinder, likewise RH turret to RH cylinder then you have the Series 1 distributor. The Series 1 and Series 2 distributors are of opposite orientation. I have no idea why this was done, likely a matter of "happenstance" by Bosch :o .

Here is a picture of one of my 3 Series 2 engines.

Steve
Attachments
DSCF0012a_051911.jpg
DSCF0012a_051911.jpg (67.33 KiB) Viewed 1698 times
Westernair

Post by Westernair »

It it is also missing the governor.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

This makes no sense.... My Haflinger is badged as being series II and is from 1973 which i gather is near the end of production, surely this would mean it should have a series II distributor?

Are they interchangeable? It is possible my engine is a series I engine as I know it was changed in the 1980's but I still would have thought that would be a series II engine.

John

HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi John,

I expect that the distributors are interchangeable between Series 1 & Series 2 but don't know for sure. To do so you would also need to switch the drive gear on the crankshaft as this gear is uniquely mated to each distributor.

If you send me your motor's serial number and the Bosch part number that is stamped on the distributor I can tell you which you have.

Steve
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Sorry Steve, could only send you the part number that's on the distrubtor as the engine was replaced with I believe, the last "new" engine in the UK in the 1980's (1983?) and it came without an engine number stamped on it from the factory. So it has a "special" P. M. Ward engine number center punched in the engine number place of PW1983!
So it is possible it is a series I engine in a series II remained of the vehicle..... Had fun trying to get a registration document for it because of this.

John

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Just seen a Haflinger for sale put up on Ebay.co.uk. One of the pictures was of the engine compartment see below:-
1965 one owner from new.jpg
1965 one owner from new.jpg (93.51 KiB) Viewed 1645 times
This is supposedly a 1965 vehicle - one owner from new, so I would not think it has had an engine change although that is always a possibility.

The distributor on this engine is also 180 degrees out compared to mine. If what Steve says is true that there is a "series I" and a "series II" distributor which are 180 degrees different in HT lead out from each other.

Then I am more confused then ever. If this is a 1965 vehicle, doesn't that make it a series I Haflinger likely to have been fitted with a "series I" distributor or am I mixing the two things?

Possibly the distributor shown with the LH turret feeding the RH cylinder is the sort fitted to early Haflingers and the version which has the LH turret feeding the LH cylinder is the sort fitted to the later vehicles? In which case when did they decide to change distributor and why isn't it mentioned in the workshop manual?

You could end up doing damage to your engine if you did not know which variation distributor you have!

John

HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi John,

It appears that the engine in the eBay photo has had considerable changes in its life. I can see it has the early small oil cooler as used on Series 1 Hafs and it has the steel crankshaft pulley that was used in the very late production Series 2 Haf engines.

The only way to know for sure of the age/series of a Haf is to obtain the serial number set. The other immediate clue is the location of the petrol tank but your eBay truck is a 703 (LWB) which would have had the tank under the left front seat in 1965. This tank location did not appear in the 700AP (SWB) until 1967 which is considered to be beginning of the Series 2 design. Some of the engine upgrades which are typical of Series 2 vehicles began to be adopted in engines of late 1966 Series 1 production, notably the larger oil cooler. To the best of my knowledge the steel flywheel pulley was not seen until the 1970's in vehicles other than the Kommunal models.

No, you cannot do damage to your Haf engine by having the wires crossed. It simply will not start if not in the correct orientation.

Steve