REMOVAL OF STEERING ARM

sibrysmi

REMOVAL OF STEERING ARM

Post by sibrysmi »

I have been trying to remove the small arm on the bottom of the steering shaft without any luck.
Has anyone found a particular method or tool of the this job that works well?
I am currently using a large (but cheap) hub puller.
heinkeljb

Re: REMOVAL OF STEERING ARM

Post by heinkeljb »

If you have tried just putting a hub puller on it and it won't move, how good is the grip you have on it? I think if you had access to a welder you could weld two "ears / tabs" on opposite sides of it and the combination of heat from the welding and the better grip on it should allow you to pull it off.

No access to a welder? I would then make sure to clean each of the splines as close to the steering arm as possible. Then apply heat to it before using your puller. A hot air gun should provide enough heat, but a blowtorch would be better as you can apply the heat quicker and more directly to just the steering arm and not the shaft.

Hope you find a way!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
sibrysmi

Post by sibrysmi »

Thanks John,

Seems to have a pretty good grip and under a lot of tension.
I have tried heat from a blowtourch as well and at the same time as the puller.

I like the idea of the tabs, I do have a welder so will give that a go if I don't see a breakthrough!

Simon
pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Hi,

I put fluid rust remover (WD40 or similar) on the shaft/arm connection and then used a pull-off tool which was similar to the following:
http://www.kukko.com/index.cfm/DE/produ ... ureihe_128

The original pull-off tool which is included in the SDP special tools kit is very similar and also came from Kukko.

Before I used this strong tool, which I borrowed from a friend, I bought a different pull-off tool with two flexible arms for about 50 Euro. One of the arms broke off after pulling too much and I could throw the whole thing on the scrap (with the steering arm still in its intial position...).

Regards,
Constantin
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I would also suggest using "PLUSGAS" penetrating fluid. It works wonders with getting seized nuts and bolts apart, so would also help in this situation. Don't waste your time using WD40. It was designed to be a water dispersant primarily. It has solvents in it which will penetrate but is not nearly as effectively as something designed especially for the job.

The bigger the puller you can get on it the more pressure you can apply (providing the puller does not fly off). Exactly the same as taking the ball joints off. Pressure and then a thump usually does it.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
sibrysmi

Post by sibrysmi »

Hey Constantin,
Thanks for the link and advice, a similar one purchased from ebay at less than £10 and steer!ing arm removed within 10 mins of it arriving!

Now onwards until the next challenge!