DOT ATV tire option?

cascade.king

DOT ATV tire option?

Post by cascade.king »

Greetings!

So watching the Youtube video "steyr puch haflinger on new terra tyres" it dawned on me that there are D.O.T. approved tires in the quad/side-by-side market.

Here's a like to a vendor that lists many, some in 12 inch sizes.

The ol' video comments says the owner has "bog standard 12 inch quad bike tyres mounted tubeless on the old 1960's non beaded rims, size 8x12 front 10x12 rear."

Has anyone tried this?

Since I live in a state where DOT/Highway use tires are REQUIRED to pass a road worthiness inspection, and I hate the idea of non-aggressive (looking) tires on a Hafi (my current tires, apparently made for the Geo Metro make me :cry: every time I look at them) this could be a possibility.

What say you?
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
AustHaflinger

Re: DOT ATV tire option?

Post by AustHaflinger »

I have looked into this as well - unfortunately where I live none are approved for onroad use - and you would not want to because most of the compunds are so soft that they will wear out very quickly on the road. The other issue is that most are too wide for a standard Haffie wheel though I did see a pic of some bear claws on a standard rim and they seemed to work OK.

I am thinking of putting them on my 12" rims for use but only when offroad.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

Well, the side-by-side ATV craze in the USA has started a market for the option of legalizing your ATV for street use. There are tires that have entered the marketplace that have the DOT certification, meaning they have been approved for "highway" use. I would assume that the tire compounds used are more akin to "Super Swamper" type tires.. meaning a harder compound. Now, no one should assume that these tires will last as long as a street radial, but with the limited miles some Hafi's pull in a year, both on pavement and trail, these might be a option.

Here is a video of what I'm talking about.

I am a bit of a tire moron, however, and I have NO idea if these tires would fit on a stock 12 inch Haflinger wheel, if they would seat with or without tubes, etc.

No one will hurt my feelings if they post a "cant/won't work/idiot" response, but since the ONLY tires I've seen for sale are from Haflinger Technik, and there are some serious rules on the books re: importation of curtain types of tires into the USA (stemming from the glut of Chinese tires that were undercutting the market about 3 years ago)

Has anyone on this forum mounted ATV tires to stock rims?
How did it work?
Mike
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi Mike,
I've not tried ATV tires myself but have seen several postings in the Yahoo Groups forum from those who have. The results were not good as the ATV tires don't have the load capacity needed for the weight of a Haffy. The most common issue seems to be that the tire beads will roll off of the rim because of excessive sidewall flexing.
The Maloya tires from Haflinger Technik are the best option but I had a bit of a battle with customs when I bought mine. It worked out ok in the end but took quite a bit of paperwork and research to get them cleared.
A good alternative is to get a set of original Semperit tire casings and have them remanufactured or retreaded locally. Most areas have shops that do this work or can send them out. There is a good variety of tread designs available in the retreading industry.
Cheers,
Steve
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Here is a pic of an Aussie Haffie with ATV tyres on standard rims

These are Kenda Bear Claws - 25x8-12. I do not how well they go however I have other pics of Haffies with UTV tyres and seem to be working well but they are on wider rims.

So it would seem that if you can get NA DOT approved UTV tyres the smaller sizes may fit standard rims and will certainly fit widened rims.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
roadkill

Post by roadkill »

A followup to this post. I'm currently in the process of fitting the DOT legal GBC Afterburn series which are 25x8x12 on minilight style wheels. I think I'll keep them on the "pretty" polycab.
haflingerwheeltest.jpg
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

If your supply of ATV tyres that are DOT approved are not too expensive, why not buy 2, fit them to the standard rims and fit to front or rear axle as a pair. Take the Haf' for a drive and see. Putting them on the front will mean you can test how well they stay in place when you go round corners which is when they will roll off the bead if they are going to.

The only issue I can see is that the tyre profile is more "round" than "square" and so is putting a smaller footprint on the road.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

roadkill wrote:I'm currently in the process of fitting the DOT legal GBC Afterburn series which are 25x8x12 on minilight style wheels.
Can you put up a pic of the tread pattern?

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Gary,

I think these are the tyres:-

http://www.mud-throwers.com/inc/sdetail/62/23116

P.S. Have a look at the ATV tyres on the left of the page to see some other tyres, most of which have load rating figures.

There is a table at the bottom which suggests they are a little bit short on the weight carrying capacity (legally). I think they would probably work perfectly well if you could live with the rumble they would make when in use on Tarmac!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
roadkill

Post by roadkill »

garrycol wrote:
roadkill wrote:I'm currently in the process of fitting the DOT legal GBC Afterburn series which are 25x8x12 on minilight style wheels.
Can you put up a pic of the tread pattern?

Cheers

Garry
Here you go. Eu rated too.. and at 500lb per tire should be fine to run.

http://www.gbcmotorsports.com/afterburn ... p-177.html
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

roadkill wrote:Here you go. Eu rated too.. and at 500lb per tire should be fine to run.

As that is a road tread why not go for a standard 12" road tyre?? The issue I find is getting road legal offroad tread patterns.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
roadkill

Post by roadkill »

garrycol wrote:
roadkill wrote:Here you go. Eu rated too.. and at 500lb per tire should be fine to run.

As that is a road tread why not go for a standard 12" road tyre?? The issue I find is getting road legal offroad tread patterns.

Cheers

Garry
That tread is plenty aggressive. Quite a bit more than my stock wheel setup. I highly doubt I am going to find myself in a situation where these tires won't cut it. Deep lugs and siped to boot, while maintaining a good ride. Just got them switched over and what a difference from stock. My kidneys are already thanking me.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

We are obviously looking at different tyres - the one shown in you link is road biased and no lugs.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
roadkill

Post by roadkill »

heinkeljb wrote:If your supply of ATV tyres that are DOT approved are not too expensive, why not buy 2, fit them to the standard rims and fit to front or rear axle as a pair. Take the Haf' for a drive and see. Putting them on the front will mean you can test how well they stay in place when you go round corners which is when they will roll off the bead if they are going to.

The only issue I can see is that the tyre profile is more "round" than "square" and so is putting a smaller footprint on the road.

John
No issues with bead rollover, though the tires I have would not work on stock rims as they are too wide. Footprint is also greater than stock setup by quite a bit.

Gary: I guess pictures aren't conveying to you what the tires are like. Look at a set in person then we can discuss when we are on the same page.
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

http://www.gbcmotorsports.com/kanati-mongrel-p-216.html

Mongrels maybe?.. See my link.

I've seen Afterburns in person, and they have more tread then the pics show, but they really are a street tire. I've seen UTVs spin out on mildly damp trails with them.

Roadkill, where did you find the wide Minilite clones?
What lugs are you using?
Mike
roadkill

Post by roadkill »

cascade.king wrote:http://www.gbcmotorsports.com/kanati-mongrel-p-216.html

Mongrels maybe?.. See my link.

I've seen Afterburns in person, and they have more tread then the pics show, but they really are a street tire. I've seen UTVs spin out on mildly damp trails with them.

Roadkill, where did you find the wide Minilite clones?
What lugs are you using?
Found them on Ebay from another Haflinger owner, What do you mean by what lugs? they are the stock 11/98 pattern. Someone at some point custom ordered the wheels from the mfg. as i couldn't find them on the website. I am quite happy, they ride awesome. I used ITP 60 degree tapered lug nuts which fit the rims perfect.
haflinger newwheels.jpg
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

They suit the Haffie very well. I saw them on ebay as well but not worth while pursuing half way around the world.

We make these locally - very similar

http://www.performancewheels.com.au/nav ... E+12X5.jpg (the Img button above does not work for these)

http://www.performancewheels.com.au/Hom ... at=Classic
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
texashafi

Post by texashafi »

Have you encountered any rubbing or contact with the suspension / body work, when driving off road?

Mike
roadkill

Post by roadkill »

texashafi wrote:Have you encountered any rubbing or contact with the suspension / body work, when driving off road?

Mike
Not, yet, but i haven't hit any serious angles with it. It looks like there shouldn't be any problems.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

cascade.king wrote:Well, the side-by-side ATV craze in the USA has started a market for the option of legalizing your ATV for street use. There are tires that have entered the marketplace that have the DOT certification, meaning they have been approved for "highway" use. I would assume that the tire compounds meaning a harder compound. Now, no one should assume that these tires will last as long as a street radial, but with the limited miles some Hafi's pull in a year, both on pavement and trail, these might be a option.

Here is a video of what I'm talking about.
An old thread - I am still running Hankook M&S tyres for my daily drive on Fiat 14" rims and they dont seem to want to wear out. When they do I will put Maxxix Muds on (really an AT) for road use and for non tarmac road use. I have the little Yokahamas on my standard Haff rims for "show days".

I have a nice set of Minilite style 12" rims that will need adaptors because of the stud pattern that I want to use for dedicated offroad use - the adaptors will make the Haff a little more stable. From the discussion on a few places on the forum where ATV/UTV tyres have been used with typical ATV style treads the ride is not very good on hard surfaces. In looking at what people have been using I came across this old thread.

The Youtube Vid above is of these tyres KANATI MONGREL 10 PLY TYRE 25x8-12 http://www.aussiepowersports.com.au/atv ... re-25x8-12 which are actually quite cheap here in Aust. While not road legal here, their specs are similar road tyres so would be suited to a Haff weight wise and I guess speed wise though not so much an issue off road.

Has anyone actually put them on their Haffie and if so how have you found them - particularly from the US where I believe they are DOT approved. No ATV/UTV tyre is Aust DOT approved here.

Thanks

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)