Muffler options?

Rabbit 16v

Muffler options?

Post by Rabbit 16v »

Hi guys, me again. So I have found the oval muffler on one of my Haffies is rather bad and explodey. I would like a smaller and stainless option. I know Dale has one, but I cant seem to find it on their website. I also suspect there is no performance gain.

So, that said, I am trying to find a muffler that can be retrofitted. I am fully capable of tig welding everything and I would like to use V band clamps to put it together. Are there options? Has anyone tried venturing outside the box on this? Or am I being silly and I should just buy one from Dale?
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
heinkeljb

Re: Muffler options?

Post by heinkeljb »

Like most things, there are variations. Most are produced by people such as yourself, who end up just using what ever they can get their hands on.

If you are an "originality" type person, then your only options are to either buy an original re-manufactured copy or to make one yourself.
If on the other hand you are not bothered about that, then anything you can find space to mount and try will probably work.
Lurch has the heat exchanger option fitted and when I managed to rip the silencer off on a tree stump I fitted a "cherry bomb" type unit as per this thread:-

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3414

It is a bit on the loud side, so might get changed for something else if I come across a better unit. I also made the mistake of guessing the pipe size - should have measured it! Only got it wrong by .25 of an inch, but a bigger inner diameter bore flows more gas.

I have been looking for a "pancake" type motorcycle (think pre-65 Brit bike) silencer to try but haven't found a plain oblong one yet.

Also watch out for mounting it on the body - lots of extra noise in the cabin if you do, unless you rubber insulate it.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I have the small round cylindrical repro muffler - same as original. Bolts up in the rear wheel well and works Ok. I got it from Technik Haflinger and was not all that expesive.

I think the pipes though, could be larger but I guess they are the correct size but my feeling is that it does restrict flow a little.

One day in the future I might change the original type muffler I have to something like this.
Muffler.jpg
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Rabbit 16v

Post by Rabbit 16v »

Hmm, well I definitely dont want louder. If anything, quieter would be fine. I also dont want it underneath as it could get caught on things.

All I have found so far are motorcycle mufflers, but none of them have the inlet and outlet on the same end.

Maybe I should just ask Dale how much, lol Do any of you recall how much he sells his stainless steel one for?
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

I can't recall how much my stainless steel exhaust was (vertical, cylindrical), but I have zero regret in buying it.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
pureredcordial

Post by pureredcordial »

My haf had a bodgey home modified muffler with some pipe with right angles on the outside to bring the inlet and outlet to the same end. I think you need to find a "type 3" muffler. I gave up trying to find one in Australia at a reasonable price. It was cheaper and easier to buy one from Dale. He only has (had) the round not oval.

But since you are in the US perhaps one of these might fit for a reasonable price
http://www.truckpipesusa.com/categories ... e-end.html

cheers
Matt
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I hate to say it Matt, but I had a quick look at the page. Correct ideas but even the smallest inlet / outlet pipe diameter was 3.5 inch - Haflinger pipes are 1.25 inch.

If they make other variations then they might have something that will fit or could be made to fit.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Rabbit 16v

Post by Rabbit 16v »

Ja, I think I am going to get a price from Dale today. I spect a few hours yesterday trying to find something and the closest I could find were silencers for generators, lol. I dont mind the cylindrical version as it offers more space to be able to work on stuff.

Thanks again everyone for the input!

Chris
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
Techmogogy

Post by Techmogogy »

A guy in NM used a snow mobile muffler amd it worked out quite well but that’s about all I know so doing the Dale route will be faster, original and will work
--------------
72 Pathfinder Hafi
75 710M Pinzgauer 2.7i
96 350GDT
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

When I bought my Haflinger it had some sort of bike muffler (stainless) which came out just in front of the back wheel. It had the right size inlet pipe and connected directly to the exhaust manifold. Really the only issue was the tail pipe was too close to the drivers seat (RHD) was was noisy with the doors off.

The arrangement would be good on a left hand drive haffie.
Haf 3.png
PA040148.JPG
Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

This was how the exhausts were on my Haf when I purchased it, two separate ones for each cylinder. I changed it to an original repo from Dale during the rebuild.
Attachments
Before Rebuild (2).jpg
Rabbit 16v

Post by Rabbit 16v »

Thanks everyone, I ended up getting one from Dale this morning. It will probably never wear out of me anyway.

I cant do the right side exit in front of the wheel because the fuel tank is located there.
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms