Is it possible to join body to chassis with engine fitted?

Julian B

Is it possible to join body to chassis with engine fitted?

Post by Julian B »

The Repair Manual states (from memory) that the first thing to do when splitting the body from the chassis is to remove the engine. But when reattaching the chassis and body, could the engine be fixed to the chassis first? (Obviously some things like the silencer & skid trays might need to be done afterwards).

TIA
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Re: Is it possible to join body to chassis with engine fitte

Post by heinkeljb »

The only reason I an think of for fitting the engine AFTER the platform is on is because of the side walls of the platform.

There are the two bottom parts of the engine compartment which are turned inwards. These if you did not lower the platform vertically might catch on the cylinder heads rocker covers.

I would measure the gap first!

So, you are nearly back together again! Well in time for April. Gives you lots of time to sort out any reliability issues.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

I am not sure about that, but I heard that with early Haflingers, the body doesn't allow the assembly with engine fitted to the chassis. The reason is, I think, a sheet metal in the engine compartment (above the engine/gearbox flange). However I am really not sure about this topic and I might be wrong. Maybe you could analyze that part of the body to find out more.

With my dad's 1972 Haflinger, the platform went on no problem with engine already fitted.

Kind regards,
C.
ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

The last time I refitted the body the engine was fitted , I had removed the zenith carb , when I lifted the body for gearbox problems ,the rear air filter connection bracket fitted to the carb snagged the body work and bent the bracket as I lifted it off.

Dave