Starting issues

AngelPantoja

Starting issues

Post by AngelPantoja »

Hi folks, some months I have been working on my Haflinger restoration project and now all my dreams seem been lost, because when I went to start the engine, does not work anymore. So I appeal to you to help me...
Before restoration, the engine, although with difficulty, worked, but not now. The engine is now installed in the chassis and to check it, I wanted to start it but it costs Dynastarter turn. When I remove the spark plugs seems that if it turns more easily.
I have reviewed all these things: the distributor is ok and the sparks reach the spark plugs, plug wires are not reversed; I have made an adjustment of valves and no loss of compression for some open valve; I removed spark plugs and checked that gasoline arrives from the carb; I removed the Dynastarter and I cleaned the brushes. I have reviewed the wiring and battery and everything seems fine ... Does anyone know where is the problem??

Thanks in advance for your time and your answers.

Ángel.-

heinkeljb

Re: Starting issues

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Ángel,

I feel your pain! Having spent many hours working on the vehicle, for something not to work is terrible.

Let's see if we can help you;

I would try the following.

1: take the belts off going to the dynastart, - run the dynastart several times for about 10 seconds a time - this will make sure the brushes are touching the correct bits inside.
2: put the belts back on.
3: take out the right hand side (looking from the back) spark plug. Connect it to the HT lead and ground it so you can see if it sparks.
4: leave the left hand spark plug in the engine, connected up.
5: try starting the engine. It SHOULD start and run on one cylinder, but will not be very happy!

If you can get it to run on the one cylinder, you can try to get it to run again with both cylinders.

The other thing you can try is to remove both spark plugs, turn the engine with the dynastart for about 5 second each time, do this 10 - 15 times. Charge the battery to make sure it still has lots of power.
Put the spark plugs back, try again to start.

Then use some "Easy Start" - engine starting spray, and spray some down the carburetor mouth. If you can get the engine to turn over at all, it should run for a couple of seconds with the "Easy Star".
I don't suppose you have a starting handle so you can turn the engine by hand?

It does sound like the engine is just very tight after the rebuild and will loosen up when you get it running.

You might have to try the above several times before you get it to run, I have spent hours with some engines which would not start doing the above type of thing and then suddenly the engine will start - I have not done anything different, it just managed to get he right petrol air mixture and a spark at the right time!

Hope you get it to run on Christmas day!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Ángel,

Are you sure you have the wires to the spark plugs round the right way? I ask, because I know there are 2 sorts of distributor fitted to these engines - One sort has the HT lead to the left hand cylinder into the left hand socket of the distributor (like my engine). The other, I believe for an early engine, has the left hand cylinder HT lead going into the right hand socket of the distributor.

I can't see clearly from you picture above, which way yours are connected.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AngelPantoja

Post by AngelPantoja »

Hi friends,
the engine already runs!!
I want to thank you for your help.
I followed the steps given by John and the engine tried to start smoothly. Then I noticed that the wires coming from battery were so hot and saw that the section of the wire was so weak. I took another wires with more section and it started so fast, both cylinders!
I am so happy again and my Haflinger project goes on.
Here I share this video in gratitude of the starting moment. ;)
Greetings!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvYyHur5RaQ
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Well Done!

It turned over nice and strongly. Now all you need to do is put it all back together again! Driving it is more fun when it runs well.....

John