New Carby - New Tpoic - Zenith Carby

AustHaflinger

Re: New Carby - New Tpoic - Zenith Carby

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thanks Steve I will pass on the information. It is a shame all "consumable" parts are not included in the kits.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

An update - this thread is also relevant but I will post here http://thehaflinger.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2938

For the last four weeks my Haffie has been in the local Dyno Tune to do the final setup on the carburettor.

Exhaust gas tests showed the engine was running extremely rich but also the ignition timing was way out at just under 50 degrees advance when it should have been about 30 degrees. I have an electronic system that does not use the mechanical advance so there was clearly an issue. The system uses a wasted spark coil pack and testing equipment was showing timing was different on each cylinder. We replaced the coil which did not fix the issue.

So out comes the electronic ignition in goes a good standard distributor, new coil, points and rotor and timing issue all fixed.

The mechanic then turned to the original issue of sorting the carb and the extremely rich issue.

I went over to see him this morning and he said he had checked the carb and it was fine BUT he was still getting hydrocarbons of 1600 parts per mil on the O2 sensor when running on the dyno at 3800rpm which would normally indicate extreme richness. As he had just reviewed the carb and considered it fine the only other place it could be is fuel air not getting burnt and coming out the exhaust - valve clearances :idea: . He said he could stop there or we could pull the rocker covers and check the valves but the engine was warm - as I had a suspicion valve clearances were not right anyway I asked him to do it.

About an hour later he rang me and asked me to come over and take it for a test drive. When I got over there he said his curiosity got the better of him and pulled the rocker covers - he said the tappets were screwed right down and the valves were not closing - and as soon as the tappets were released he said he could seen the valves close. Even the engine was hot he reset them and immediately the hydrocarbon level dropped to a normal 300 ppm and the engine ran well. I took it for a test drive and for the first time the 85kph speed alarm on the GPS went off on straight and level so top speed has increased by 10% and driveability was good - no stalling at the lights etc.

So back to the garage where it will stay until tomorrow. In the morning the tappets will be set cold and basic carby settings reset etc. I think this work will be expensive but hopefully these issues that I have been having will be sorted.

My mechanic does not do full power runs on the dyno - just enough to do the tuning job - at just under 4000rpm my haffie delivered 15kw (about 21bhp) at the back wheels which equates to something like 27bhp at the engine - so we should be looking at something like 32bhp at the engine at full power - I would love to know what it can actually do but I will accept a little better performance on the road as it means at normal cruise of 60-70kph there is a bit more torque on the hills.

Oh - the mechanic also thought the standard exhaust is a bit restrictive - the standard o2 sensor just fits in the pipe. The diameter of the exhaust tail pipe is smaller than the exhaust ports and ideally the entire system should be the same size with a larger muffler providing the required back pressure.

Here is hoping all is now OK. Sorry for the long post.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Sounds like you have found a good mechanic Gary!

Lets hope the valve clearances stay set for a while. I can see a horrible path ahead if the screwed down tappets have caused damage to the valve and valve seats. Hopefully you won't be travelling down that path.

Do you know if they did any work on the heads when they did the big bore kit? That would possibly explain the difference in exhaust I/D to valve port size. Only ways out of that one is a custom made exhaust system copying the original or new cylinder heads with original size exhausts ports or getting your existing head altered.

Presumably, that's why it had the motorcycle exhaust system on it when you bought it.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hi John - I don't think there will be any issues with the valves.

Unfortunately I don't know what was done internally with the engine - compression ratio looks normal so I think nothing special other than a bore increase.

The diameter of the standard haflinger tail pipe is much smaller than the size of the standard exhaust manifold pipe diameter. However it seems to work and I will not worry about it until all my little issues are resolved and it is running perfectly then I can play with other things.

The bike muffler had the same dia inlet pipe as the haflinger muffler but the outlet is the same size and the inlet - the bike muffler worked great but as it came out the side rather than the back it was very noisy in the cabin.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

My Baby is Back Home

Post by AustHaflinger »

Collected my baby this afternoon and am very happy with the results.

Runs really smooth and pulls like a train - well a little one.

When I drive my Haffie on the highway I try to keep the revs around 4000 to 4200 rpm which used to give a cruise of 65-70kph - on the flat it would top out at 4800rpm and about 78kph - today I got scared at 5300rpm and 85kph on the flat. So the work has made a real improvement and on a long enough flat run it would do close to 90kph but there is no way I am going there - the car is nice and stable but I have no idea what the internals of the engine are like and while the good book gives the governor range (not fitted) is 4800-5200rpm I am not going to push it.

Where the arrangement I have is really good is torque - it now holds my selected cruise speed of 65-70kph and does not drop off on hills - this really makes the haffie a lot more flexible and maybe I should look at getting those 75kph hub gears I have been thinking about.

The real lesson out of this is - tappet clearances. They must be right on Haffie engines. There was a thread recently about difficulty in taking the rocker covers off but mine actually just popped off by themselves when the centre nuts were removed, so as designed is straight forward.

Thanks to everyone who has provided input and advice on both my carby and timing issues - very much appreciated.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I am not disputing that "undo one nut and take rocker cover off" is not simple or not easy, my quibble is with the fact that the rocker box covers have a pipe attached to them which is a push fit into a rubber bung on the crankcase.

Any engine which get used in the way these were intended i.e. off road will end up with a fair amount of "crud" all around the engine. Having to clean around the pipe / bung area which, is not the most easily accessible areas of the engine before you can adjust the tappets which obviously need to be due quite frequently, is not conducive to you wanting to do the task.

If they had made access covers as per most motor bike engine, cleaning the rocker box covers / any access covers on them would have been very easy.

John

P.S.

Gary, what sort of temperature does the oil in your Hafi get to? Where is the oil temperature sensor? Electric or mechanical? Looking for so figures to get a comparison with those I am getting from Lurch.
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I think the trick is to replace seals on the crankcase end on a regular basis - maybe every fifth tappet adjustment. It was the these seals that just pushed the rocker cover off as they are under compression.

I don't have an oil temp gauge but it is something I want to fit. My oil pressure light and gauge sit on + piece and there is one spot left for a oil temp takeoff but some other joiners and 90 bends might be required.

Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I remember looking at that! I think A) I have asked before and B) that you have posted the picture before! DOH!

I bought a selection of things to do the mounting of my oil temp and pressure senders, but the pressure send is electrical and so very big. There is no space to put all 3 senders off the current "no oil pressure" sender point. If you want to keep that existing + piece yo will have to use the outlet which currently has the oil pipe on it and fit another + a bit further away in order to physically fit things in.

So I ended up buy a "sandwich" plate adapter to put in between my spin on oil filter and the engine and then put the temp and pressure senders into that. I'll take a photo later today and post it. The only issue is that due to the position of the temperature sensor, it is possible that it is not actually getting the really hot oil to measure.

John

Julian B

Post by Julian B »

AIUI there are two locations where a sender can fit on to the engine - one as in the photo above, and one that fits forward of the engine tin shrouding on the LHS (when standing behind the Haf), just under where the throttle linkage attaches to the carb.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |