Engine Died

AustHaflinger

Re: Engine Died

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:The only thing I can think you need to check on is that the valve spring is not fouling on the "pimple" that has been created. If it does, then careful use of a needle file should give you clearance.

Did you get both sides done or only the side with the stud that pulled out?

John
That pimple is not caused by the stud - it is the actual casting in the head when it was made, so clearance is not an issue. The designers obviously recognised there was a clearance issue between the bottom of the stud hole and the inside of the head and put the less than 1mm thick pimple in. As I said, I checked both my spare heads and the cast pimple had cracked as in the pic on all o them so I assume just about all of out engines have this damage and would seem not to be an issue.

I had the studs done in both heads on the engine - I just don't want to stuff around with. It took the technician 20 minutes to do the job where it would have taken me a day to round up the drills, taps and inserts etc to do the job and then have an excellent chance on stuffing things up :(

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Sounds like you got a guy with the correct knowledge and tools - probably money well spent! Let's hope it all goes together without any more dramas and works like a charm for ever more!!

Only a few more days Gary, then you can be out ripping up the tarmac with the 10BHP you are going have to live with. Until you have finished the "running in" period.... :ugeek:

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:Only a few more days Gary, then you can be out ripping up the tarmac with the 10BHP you are going have to live with. Until you have finished the "running in" period.... :ugeek:

John
Yes - I looked in the handbook for the run in procedure and it basically says to take it easy for the first 2000km - well it took a year to get my first 2000km up and that was with full registration, so with the Historic Registration I now have it on where use is restricted it looks like it will being run in for a few years yet.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

The exhaust and firewall air blanking plates are on.

John (heinkeljb) you were right about putting stuff on in a particular sequence - absorbed by the exhaust stud issues I had I put the exhaust on and then decided to put the air blanking plates on the firewall - doh - I could get the passenger side one on but the drivers side was harder because the exhaust pipes were in the road.

So off came the exhaust - again - but having done it I am now the exhaust expert - with the exhaust off the little screws went straight in even though my fingers would not work due to the cold.

Then the exhaust was back on - so now it is the stuff on top of the engine. i could finish it all in an afternoon but motivation to go out in the cold is lacking.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Gary I know exactly how you feel... Felt the same way when i had the front hubs off a couple of years ago when I first got Lurch. If you knew it would only be a quick 10 ~ 15 minute job to fix it, then maybe it would be worth braving the cold. When you know it's going to take you several hours of work to sort and there is no obvious stopping point, getting motivated can be a little difficult!

Do you have a gazebo you could put up around it? Then you need some way of heating the interior for half an hour before you want to start work! I thought about doing this when I was working on the front hubs, but the wind meant the gazebo would not have stayed in the same place very long!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:Do you have a gazebo you could put up around it? Then you need some way of heating the interior for half an hour before you want to start work!
John
It is in the garage and I have my gas patio space heater going flat out :shock: and it is still just above freezing - have to have the garage door open though.

Was -5 last night so the garage never gets warm - my daily driver is not happy about being parked outside all the time.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I have now put most of the bits on the engine and fired her up this afternoon. It took about 60 secs of cranking without the spark plugs in to get oil pressure up and was still there when fired up.

I was a it worried at first when I filled the garage up with thick exhaust smoke and the engine continued to belch out smoke. As it seemed to be black smoke and I had not connected up the choke cable I checked its position on the side of the carby and it was 3/4 on. Turned off the choke and it ran without the smoke and settled to an idle of around 1000rpm.

On turning off there is a fuel leak from the main jet cover on the side of the carby so I guess the seal has dried out sitting around so long without fuel in the carb. Only leaks when the engine stops so the engine is using the fuel when running.

My "old" engine did not have much of the VW clack sound to it where this one has a noticeable "clack" at idle but has a very sweet sound to it above 2500rpm. I have only run it for a few minutes in the garage so maybe the valve gear and rocker cover have not yet filled up with oil yet. I am certainly glad the rockers etc have plenty of assembly lube on them.

So do other Haffie engines have the VW clack sound (as we would say here "Dakka Dak") to them. I am very familiar with older Subaru engines which have a muffled clack - no doubt due to the water cooling instead of air cooling.

I will fix the carby leak tomorrow and take it for a drive tomorrow.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

It would appear so, Lurch has it!

Glad you were able to get some oil pressure just on the starter, I did wonder if it would turn it fast enough to get the oil in to the pump from the sump. Once in the oil pump there would be no problem. Turning it over with out the spark plugs in was a good call.
Lots of smoke on start up might also be down to the excess amount of oil that would be present in the barrels when put together. Doesn't take a a lot of oil to produce a LOT of smoke.
As you found out, black smoke is mostly down to un-burnt fuel due to the choke being on.

Sort the fuel leak out and take it for a drive round the block!

Well done on getting it all back together again and running - I think lots would have given up!

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Before putting the oil filter back on, I did pour quite a bit of oil down the holes in the lower housing so oil would have flowed down into the pump.

Hopefully all will be well on the road test.

The handbook says to use only 75% power for the 2000km running in period so I guess 3500 rpm will be max revs for a while/

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

First drive today - just around the block - the engine was cold so didn't sound too healthy going up the drive but just after turning out onto the road it gave a little cough and cleared itself and was running well when I came back.

Here is a short video (Click on the pic to see the Video) of the event - however the "clack" at idle is louder than I expected and the engine does sound different to before - it does pull well though even staying below 3500rpm.

Does the sound of the engine sound normal - noting that after nearly 2 years of ownership I have not yet come across another Haffie so I still not know what noises are normal and those that are not.

Click on the pic to see the Video

The front end growl that I have had for a while was not evident and the rattle I had in the clutch is no longer there - I did replace the spigot bush and the clutch withdrawal bearing. In high gear the clutch does slip a little - no doubt because of the thicker plate in the new clutch bearing. A little bit of adjustment should fix that.

Cheers

Garry
Last edited by AustHaflinger on Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I will now close this thread as the engine is now back in the car and everything is back on.

Prior to the engine incident engine compression was 95psi (115psi wet) and 120 psi on the other cylinder. Both now read 150psi with only 10km on the bores, so as they bed in that should increase another 5 to 10 psi. Certainly the torque reflects this increase. While a direct correlation of compression ratio can be made, a ball park figure would indicate the compression ratio is somewhere around 9:1. So for the moment I am running it on 98 octane just to make sure there is no pre ignition during the running in period.

I drove the 20km over to the engine builder today to discuss the "clack" in the engine and he indicated the frequency of the clack was half that of the revs so without detailed investigation the most logical answer is that the tappets are too loose, particularly as the noise seems to be coming from only one side. So I will redo the tappet clearances as soon as I can.

The builder said that I only need to restrict performance for about the first 800-1000km, then retorque the heads, adjust tappets and change the oil. After that just drive normally but no extended high rev use until the book 2000km running in period is completed. I am restricting max revs to 3500rpm which just gives me just under 60kph in 5th. Because of the big gap between 5th and 4th when it comes time to change down there is a risk of over revving when changing down.

Because of the extra capacity and performance of my engine it is easy to get to max revs in top. Where I live is a planned city, is easy to drive around and as it is also in the country higher speeds are the norm rather than the exception. As it would seem that changes to the 4th and 5th gearbox ratios and not feasible, I am going to get the high speed hub gears as this will reduce engine revs at cruising speed.

So the engine is up and running - a couple of little things to do but the Haffie is back on the road.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
billa

Post by billa »

I had the studs put in both engine heads because I don't want to bother with anything. The technician finished the task in 20 minutes when I would have needed a day to collect the necessary drills, taps, inserts, etc., and would have had a good chance of making blunders. And I also do work as a patio.
I love foods
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Billa,

Welcome to the forum.

As you have no doubt read, I have to work on my Haflinger outside as well.
Not sure if you realised that this thread is nearly 9 years old! If you are doing a rebuild on your Haflinger then maybe it would be a good Idea to start a new post for us to read and comment on. Pictures are also nice to see.

John