Engine numbers

StuartR

Engine numbers

Post by StuartR »

Sorting out the engines I have following collecting a poor condition rolling chassis in three parts last week.
The engines I have are numbered 536 xxxx and are the 650cc Haflinger ones (x2), and the 526 xxxx are the Invacar 500cc version(x3).
What is a mystery is that I have a 650cc one with no engine number stamped into the crankcase, and never has been stamped or ground off.
Was this a service part repair, and if so were engines so repaired left un numbered in the UK?? Any ideas as usually all should be stamped.
Best Regards

Stuart

Northampton
heinkeljb

Re: Engine numbers

Post by heinkeljb »

Stuart,

I wouldn't worry too much about engine numbers! Lurch has an engine which was fitted in 1983 and it has no engine number from the factory stamped on it, instead it has a hand punched number from Peter Ward!

It must be a late engine as it was purchase new at the time. Having no engine number does suggest it was a service repair item and should have had the original engine number stamped into it when fitted along with a tag to say it was a replacement engine. This was done for a fair number of manufacturers in the 1960's & '70s.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!