Oil Bath Filter

SAM

Oil Bath Filter

Post by SAM »

Hi All

I know this has been done to death recently but I could not find the answer I needed.

I have removed my oil bath filter and taken out the cartridge stuffed with swarf. My manual says bath this in gasoline to clean which is fair enough. The thing is there is also another section (the top) of the filter housing that is also stuffed with the wire wool/swarf stuff.

My question is, is this filling supposed to be removable? Has anyone managed to remove the top filling to clean it without buggering up the housing? It looks like there is at least as much stuffing in the top as in the cartridge!

Thanks chaps.

Sam
heinkeljb

Re: Oil Bath Filter

Post by heinkeljb »

Must admit I haven't looked at cleaning the wire mesh stuff in Lurch for a while - when I did it the first time, I just dunked the whole canister in a petrol bath as the outside was not very clean at that point. Did that a couple of times and it seemed to clean everything well enough.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Yep just wash the mesh in a petrol bath.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
blazing928

Post by blazing928 »

& light to dry? :twisted: :twisted:
Nigel

Haflinger 1973 700 APT2,
sold- Haflinger 76 Vic rego LCT 131 - sold mid 80's - where is it????
Porsche 87 928S4, Cayenne D, GLS350d, Alfasud x 5,
Ducati 907IE x 2, Lambretta LI150 S3, Vespa 150
Flinkel Fluff GT,
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Only if you don''t like your eyebrows! :lol: :lol:

The problem with burning the petrol off is that is will make carbon deposits on the mesh which could end up going into the engine - possible bad results from that! :o

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

I'll have to dig into this soon too....on the other oil bath filters I've had, they've always said wash with gasoline, but I can't see any issues with using a lighter, higher flash cleaner like carb spray. Or just wash them out with diesel, that works fine too.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

I pressure washed it already, all the heavy stuff is out.
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

I think it just needs to run a bit, heat up, clean out the gunk. I dropped a fresh tank of gas in, that might be the issue too.....
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch