Heat exchangers change

heinkeljb

Heat exchangers change

Post by heinkeljb »

Well, I only actually changed one (passenger side).

Lurch being a long wheel base Haflinger fitted with the heat exchanger heating system developed a noise at the last Dersingham treffen and sounded like a beat up old VW - broken pipe going into the passenger side heat exchanger.
I had to disconnect the hot air pipe where it joins the flexible hose just under the cabin floor to prevent getting gassed on the way home.

Today was reasonable in terms of weather so I set about taking off the sump guard, Putting axle stands under the passenger side so I could remove the rear wheel. Gives you a bit more access room - which is terrible to start with.

In order to remove the heat exchanger you have to have a good tool kit. As the easiest way I found of undoing the two studs / nuts that actually hold the body of the heat exchanger to the brackets in the middle of the vehicle is to have a socket on a very long extension rod (preferably with a "wobble" end so you can turn it a bit off centre and approach the nuts from the opposite side of the vehicle.

Every thing is just that little bit more difficult to manoeuvre due the LWB deeper footwells and where the handbrake cable runs.

Getting the new (replacement from some other old Haflinger) heat exchanger back in to position and joining up the pipes took quite a while with a fair amount of thumping of things with a rubber mallet to get things to line up. Still all done now - might get round to doing the other side as that is likely to be is asimilar condition of rusting through.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Re: Heat exchangers change

Post by AustHaflinger »

Sheer luxury - a heated Haflinger - always wondered what they are like ;) .
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

Eberspacher is opulent . i have one

kerry
ex Tasmanian Haflinger agent .
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

When the heating is working and not gassing you, it will raise the temperature in the 2 seat cab from below freezing to above freezing.

Lurch might be one off case though as he has a fibreglass top that is the same shape as the canvas 2 seat top rather than a polycab. Not sure if it would heat the whole full canvas cab quite as well, but it would definitely be warmer inside than out if you were using it on a cold winters day!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:it will raise the temperature in the 2 seat cab from below freezing to above freezing.
My body does that - maybe I need to trim down a bit :lol:

On a cold Canberra night with outside temps below freezing the inside cab temperature gets up to about 3 degrees above outside even with the breeze blowing through - only head source is me :o

Heating would be nice though.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

John, for the other side you would be more than welcome to bring it up here anytime and make use of my ramps.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Julian,

Might just take you up on your offer as the other side started blowing after taking Lurch round a trials meeting day out. Again, I didn't manage to do terribly well - partly due to tyres, but probably more to do with Driver error.... I keep being told the Haflinger can go difficult places off road, but to be honest it was failing against Suzuki Jimny's and such. They have bigger diameter tyres and more horsepower.

There aren't many videos on the internet showing Haflingers competing in Trials in basically standard form. There are a couple of modified Haflinger videos, but they don't run for very long, so you don't get to see how they tackle many obstacles.

Anyway, I now have more to fix on Lurch than before!

John

Julian B

Post by Julian B »

John, anytime - just call first to make sure I am in & that I can shift the mower that I "park" on it.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Julian,

Unfortunately, the drivers side heat exchanger pipes just fell apart the next time I tried starting Lurch! So couldn't really drive it anywhere, which meant taking that side off whilst Lurch sat on a couple of axle stands on the driveway.

I have come to the conclusion that the heat exchangers are all "one offs" or at least all all the ones I have are! presumably they have all been repaired at some point in the past, although I had two that looked like they original ones. I had to fight with the pipes - mainly the one from the cylinders - on both heat exchangers to get them to fit the replacement boxes.

Nothing "quite" lined up, every connection has ended up being under tension to get things in place to be able to do any nuts and bolts up.

As I am off to South Africa for a couple of weeks next weekend, I shall leave it all alone and undo things when I get back and see if I can get it to line up better then.

John

Julian B

Post by Julian B »

No sympathy from me - heat exchangers are [insert Monty Pythonesque yorkshire accent here] a look-shur-ee anyway :D :D

Have a great trip to SA. See you soon, Julian
Julian B
W Sussex, UK