Broken pre-heat pipe

heinkeljb

Re: Broken pre-heat pipe

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Julian,
Many thanks for the offer. As you can tell from the pictures, I have had to put a slight bend in my new piece of pipe and that means I have tack weld the missing bit back in place and keep checking the heat hasn't warped things so the manifold doesn't fit!
So it keeps coming off, having a tack weld put on, then back on the engine to check it still fits - can't really do that, doing the welding at your place and I can't drive the Haf up there in the state it is currently in!!

It really isn't a big deal, I'll wait till next weekend and get some more gas on Saturday, finish the job Saturday / Sunday. It's purely because SPA Welding don't open on the Saturday of a bank holiday weekend because they go visiting or something....

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Got some more Argon gas and finished off the welding on the pipe. I'll remember to take a picture tomorrow when I haven't got mucky hands...
Put things back together and started the engine. Whilst checking that things were all together correctly, discovered that the petrol pipe from the fuel pump to the Carb has sprung a leak - :o now I'll have to go and buy some pipe!

Also discovered that another bit of the exhaust system has rusted through! It never rains but it pours!! :lol:

Might have to invest in a pipe bender at this rate. Does anyone know if someone produces an exhaust system for a LWB Haf with heat exchangers?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Worcestershire James P (Dutch Treffen) might be able to help?
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

So I finished the welding and put a lay of paint on - and NO, before anyone points out the black ends - it wasn't high temperature paint!
finish and installed.jpg
It all fits and appears to work correctly. Biggest problem is like most mild exhaust system, all the rest of the pipework is starting to show signs of rusting through all over the place!

I think next on the list is a new exhaust system!!

John

mechanical horse

Post by mechanical horse »

Hey John, It looks like a job well done. Mine has so many repairs with bronze it now looks like it's been gold plated.
Regards Rick.