Finally, back in

Czechsix

Finally, back in

Post by Czechsix »

Also found out the block is from a Puch 500d
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
pathfinder700ap

Re: Finally, back in

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Does it also have the 70 mm pistons? Or was the engine retrofitted with larger bore cylinders?
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

80mm on this. Eric from the puch 500 forum said the 500 block is easily built into a 650, and that's what was done with this one.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Just need to top off oil, triple check connections, and I think I'll have time tomorrow to light it off. Then the cleaning continues. If I'm lucky it'll be on the rolling under it's own power this weekend!

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Looks as if it is coming together very nicely.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Well done!

Post a video somewhere of it running and driving - always nice to see a new one driving around!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
jhon

Post by jhon »

Yes, looking good, congrats on your progress!

I notice that you don't have the governor fitted - are you planning running without one or going with an alternative?
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Thanks for the comments, I'll post up a vid once it's up and running.

Jhon - I bought it without the governor, so I've never gotten used to one. I run it by ear, but I'm not in the habit of pushing limitations either, I'm well out of that age group :D
StuartR

Post by StuartR »

The Invacar engines also were not fitted with governor.
I thought initially that from the photo it was one from that application.
They were also 500 cc, believe some were unofficially converted to 650 using Haflinger parts.
One of the ones I have recently stripped has the late type spin on oil filter and later cam.
Best Regards

Stuart

Northampton
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

StuartR wrote:The Invacar engines also were not fitted with governor.
I thought initially that from the photo it was one from that application.
They were also 500 cc, believe some were unofficially converted to 650 using Haflinger parts.
One of the ones I have recently stripped has the late type spin on oil filter and later cam.
Very interesting, I'll have to look into that bit of history. Thanks for posting the info!
StuartR

Post by StuartR »

Photo of one
INVA CAR ENGINE 2.jpg
100_1803.JPG
and one of the clutch end, this was a centrifugal type
Attachments
100_1806.JPG
Best Regards

Stuart

Northampton
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

All back in, looks great....and doesn't want to turn over. LOL.

Pulling dynastarter now, checking brushes and continuity. Hopefully that's what it is from sitting for so long. In any case, can't hurt to check brushes, etc. That'll be one thing eliminated.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Does the engine turn over by hand? Is it very stiff?

Would have been quick to take the belts off and see if the Dynastart turned over without the engine load on it. That's not really a conclusive test as it might turn over but have no power, but at least it would give you an idea of whether the Dynastart is basically sound.
They can suffer from overheated solder joint to the coils which mean they then don't produce all the power they should due to high resistance joints.

If you had the starting handle you could try getting it to run using that - just remember it uses the fan on the Dynastart to provide cooling for the cylinders so don't run it for too long with out the Dynastart / Fan in place and turning. You could also try bump / tow starting it, just to see if it runs!!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Engine turns over just fine, I'm pretty sure it's the starter solenoid contacts. Dynastarter brushes test out fine, and when I spin it by hand it registers a bit of voltage production on the meter.

I manufactured new battery cables, except for one that I re-used.

I'll break down the solenoid today and see what it looks like, but I'm sure it hasn't been touched since 1963.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

If your Solenoid doesn't go "Clack" when you apply power to the energising coil, then probably the grease internally has dried up and is causing it to stick. Unsolder the energising coil terminals, one is a tag you can connect a wire to, the other is just a earth terminal. I did a "how to" which is here:- http://www.haflingerandpinzgauerclubuk. ... oid#Item_2

Might provide some help.

John

Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Thanks John,

Definitely got a good clack out of it, so it's engaging well. Right now I'm waiting for a sealant to tack out, but this is what I found...

Not absolutely horrible, but definitely needed a touch up.

After the battle:

Time for a bit of food, then I'll slap it back together and see what happens. The other issue might be that I used the original positive battery cable instead of replacing it. If this solenoid fix doesn't make a difference, then I'll be making a new cable, the old one definitely had some corrosion on it, but I thought I could get by.....we'll see.
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

LOL, magic smoke came out of dynastarter.

That's probably not good, eh? :D

Time to tear that down, the positive starter post was somewhat loose and I'm thinking that a short happened.

I did find a dynastarter rebuild article from an Isetta guy, I'll have to dig through that and see if it's any help. Or does anyone have an dynastarter shop manual, or rebuild manual? It's not like these are complex motors....but age will eventually start to affect stuff. Plus ham handed shadetree mechanics too!
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Usual scenario is that the engine wants to stop in a particular place every time, (compression on last run etc). This makes the Dynastart stop in one of two places. Every time you start, there is a spark, over time this erodes the brushes and the commutator.
You now have a couple of high resistance sections on the commutator, causing more sparks! So it goes on, Eventually it erodes the commutator out of round, then the brushes don't make proper contact and you get poor starting and charging. At this point, it can stick as it doesn't have enough torque to turn the engine, you keep the current flowing in the hopes it will start, then things start getting hot. Magic smoke can appear!!

What has probably happened is the varnish on one of the coils has burnt off causing a short inside a winding. You can buy new windings and with a good high power soldering iron, unsolder all the connections (making a note of where they all go). Replace with new windings and then get the commutator skimmed to make it round again. If you are unlucky, then the commutator will need to be re-wound...

I handed my Dynastart to a commercial firm to re-condition, Yes it was expensive, but they had to fix the thread on the end (which I mangled whilst changing the dynastart on a trip to Holland) and re-wind the commutator to make a new surface for the new brushes!

John