Rocker valve thrust Washer (501.1.0511)

flyco10

Rocker valve thrust Washer (501.1.0511)

Post by flyco10 »

Hello,
I am busy rebuilding 2 engines for my Haflinger. When I dismantled the rocker arms, various numbers of thrust washers were found, with no repetitive pattern, a total of 18 for 4 cylinder heads, some were 2 or 3 together.. I understand that the spring should have a washer on each side ( as on parts chart) but what about the aluminium head side next to the rocker . I was hesitating to put 4 washers per shaft (1 between head and rocker, 2 between rocker and spring - to avoid the spring to be loaded in rotation , and one on the last side between spring and aluminium head)
Any comments welcome
pS there is a great photograph of goatwerks ( haflinger) head, but is it hard to see any washers. Great photographs though and thanks.
heinkeljb

Re: Rocker valve thrust Washer (501.1.0511)

Post by heinkeljb »

At the end of the day, the rocker arm needs to line up above the valve stem. Most engines have a slight offset on the rocker to valve stem so that the valve stem rotates during use.
So putting a washer on either side of the spring and then another washer on the other side of the rocker arm should be all that's required.
BUT
having said that, I haven't had to re-build one of these engines yet, so please don't take what I have said as gospel!

Wait until you get a few more replies or else message Jim at Goatworks and ask him.

Oh yes, would be helpful in recommending people if you filled out your profile with a bit more information particularly where in the world you are as this is an international forum and we have members from all over the world! No pointing you to some one in Europe if you are in America or Australia!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!