It lives! It lives!

Czechsix

It lives! It lives!

Post by Czechsix »

Too bad I can't figure out how to embed videos....ah well.

First time running since the end of last year, a minor rebuild, and a complete redo of the engine electricals/regulator/etc. Now has a battery cutoff switch in the cab, better grounds, new(ish) regulator, rebuild starter solenoid, completely rewired engine bay.

Now I have to clean the carb out again due to our crap fuel here in California.

https://youtu.be/wtPoW3ZBTYM
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
AustHaflinger

Re: It lives! It lives!

Post by AustHaflinger »

Pretty engine - not gonna be pretty for long though once you start to use it offroad.

If you need to clean out the carb - you need you need to look at the fuel filter you are using - should be 30 micron or smaller and it should catch the crap in the fuel rather than the carb catching it.

It is a great feeling when a plan comes together - well done and start using it.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Oh yeah, it'll get nasty I'm sure. Especially since I don't have the proper tin on it yet, still have to rework that.

Our fuel here is generally pretty clean - it's not sediment that causes the blockages, but a varnish build up. We can thank our California Air Resource Board guidelines for that. If you let the fuel sit in bowls, it will evaporate and leave something that looks like shellac. For my other small engines I run avgas, instead of pump gas. I probably should have done the same thing with the Haf, but didn't this time. I just drained the old gas out of the fuel tank, and refilled with newer gas treated with Pri-G. I'll pull the carb off and blow it out, but it might just need a few more minutes of running. I'll try firing it up every day for fifteen minutes or so, and if that doesn't do it by the weekend I'll pull the carb off and blow it out.

If you want some real entertainment, try using one of the CARB mandated "efficient" fuel can spouts - the ones that are supposed to control vapor, but generally wind up dumping some fuel on the ground instead.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Have you cleaned the petrol tank out? Is it rusty in there? Most of the "bits" you get in the petrol are due to wind born dust flying into the tank when you are filing up. Unless like me, you have a tank that was lined years ago against rust / leaks with a then available sealant. Only now we have more ethanol in the petrol mix and it is eating the lining and makes it fall off in bits, which are than sucked towards the carb!

Every once in a while I have to clean the fuel filter bowl and filter, blow the jets clean on the carb when it starts running on one cylinder. Tends to happen more when I partake in Trials, Lurch gets jolted around quite a lot then.

Glad it is up and running, now lets hear about the places you take it to and the use you put it to.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

I've always used two fuel filters, one before the fuel pump, and one just before the carb. The tank itself doesn't look too bad inside, some rust but nowhere near the worst I've seen. I always try to keep it full of fuel, can't stand using any of the tank liners or sealants, so I depend on the fuel filters.

After another fifteen minutes or so of running, I'll recheck the first fuel filter. That reminds me I should swap it out for a more efficient unit, the "upgraded" VW filters that are cleanable aren't really that good. For the final stage fuel filter I run a paper element motorcycle filter I can see into, they work pretty well.

One of these days I'll redo the fuel system to use the stock type of element. I'll probably find one on an old tractor or similar engine.
walderse

Post by walderse »

Congratulations!
Beautiful attention to detail.
Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
jhon

Post by jhon »

I like the black and red - it looks and sounds great!

You can tell in the video that you're chuffed - a great sense of achievement.

Enjoy using it!