Oil Filter

wojo12

Re: Oil Filter

Post by wojo12 »

Regardless whether those oil lines are necessary or not, wouldn't the same thing be achieved by putting a T-piece (or 2) where oil oil pressure sensor is? Then the oil filter could be serviced in a normal fashion.

John W
wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

Oil and filter now changed - those additional copper tubes weren't much of a problem, but re-securing the oil bath air filter with those clips is, Currently secured with cable ties!!

John W
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Check you have the oil bath seated correctly, clicks should just be standard “over centre” clips.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

heinkeljb wrote:Check you have the oil bath seated correctly, clicks should just be standard “over centre” clips.

John
Checked, re-checked, re-checked again and again!!

John W
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Then something must have moved! You might have to take the top part off the Haf to look see if something is bent.
John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

heinkeljb wrote:Then something must have moved! You might have to take the top part off the Haf to look see if something is bent.
John
Attachments
48406628_596275507478175_6088984640301826048_n.jpg
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

As John has said - something is not correct - the oil bath filter just clicks in. As yourself is it really needed, particularly if not heading into dusty areas. Modern 4wds and on road vehicles just use a paper air filter and they all work fine - however the haflinger engine bay does suck in a bit of dust.

I just use the paper filter and not had any issues but I do check it regularly. If you are sucking fresh air from the tropical filter in the front then the oil filter is just an extra restriction to air flow.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

garrycol wrote:As John has said - something is not correct - the oil bath filter just clicks in. As yourself is it really needed, particularly if not heading into dusty areas. Modern 4wds and on road vehicles just use a paper air filter and they all work fine - however the haflinger engine bay does suck in a bit of dust.

I just use the paper filter and not had any issues but I do check it regularly. If you are sucking fresh air from the tropical filter in the front then the oil filter is just an extra restriction to air flow.

Garry
Lots of our local roads are unmade, as is the beach!! LOL The bath attaching to the apparatus is fine, but the clips that hold the whole apparatus to the engine bay are different, Just won't quite go over centre.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I now understand the problem you are having. I thought it was the actual oil bath that was not fitting to the filter body.

The most likely reason you can’t do the clips up properly is because the oil bath canister is not completely round. So try repositioning it either direction by a bit and see if things click. Or possibly you have it either too high or too low, the ridges in the body should fit either side of the clamp straps but maybe yours requires it to be above or below for some reason.

John

wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

I can't rotate it as the inlet and outlet would not line up with their respective hoses. But I will try higher or lower though.

Thanks, John

John W
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Di you manage to sort this issue out?

I think the main issue was that the oil bath body has some double layer section where the parts are joined together and that you have one of these double layer areas touching the "U" shaped bracket on the side firewall and so it is "just" to far out for the strap to go round and the over-center clip to work.

John

wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

heinkeljb wrote:Di you manage to sort this issue out?

I think the main issue was that the oil bath body has some double layer section where the parts are joined together and that you have one of these double layer areas touching the "U" shaped bracket on the side firewall and so it is "just" to far out for the strap to go round and the over-center clip to work.

John
It is still held in place by cable ties!! When this current heat wave passes, I'll attack it again.

John W