New exhaust

Adam

New exhaust

Post by Adam »

So I've just installed new exhaust manifold and silencer from Haflingertechnik, all good and sounding sweet, however can't get silencer to line up with mounting bracket. Loosened everything off to try align but out by almost an inch! Guessing due to new exhaust manifolds not being perfect replicas??? Guess easiest way is to fabricate joiner from bracket to silencer out of some flat steel, or am I doing something completely wrong! Also the fairings for the exhaust manifold need some slight alterations so guessing it all part of the fun!!
heinkeljb

Re: New exhaust

Post by heinkeljb »

Pictures!

It is very difficult to know exactly where things might have gone wrong based on a description as everyone imagines something slightly different.

More than likely the "pattern" part you have received was based on something that was "said" to be original. Over 40 years of wear and movement of everything relative to each other, I am not surprised that you will have to do some "fettling" to make things fit.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

When I got my silencer from Haflinger Technik a couple of years ago, I had to cut the bracket/ lug an re position it by about 20mm.
The next time I contact Dale I will let him know.

Dave
Adam

Post by Adam »

Yeah, as the holes in the fairings for the exhaust don't quite line up I'm sure it is due to the manifold not being exact to original, will try post a photo of how close I could get it, thanks.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Welcome to the world of reproduction parts - they rarely fit straight off - doesn't matter what brand of vehicle - I have old landrovers and an old jag and repro parts rarely fit straight off without modification.

I had the same issue as you when I tried to fit up my new muffler.

Here is a pic of the muffler bolted up without modification - see the gap between the exhaust manifold vs the inlet to the muffler. Bolted in the muffler is too high and to one side.
P3190001.JPG
I had to modify the mount so the muffler is lowered a bit. You can see to the left of this pic that the mount is correctly bolted to the body but to the right of the pic the two tabs on the muffler no longer line up with the holes in the main mount ad the muffler is now held by just one bolt on the top muffler tab and the muffler is lowered by about 1". (cannot remember if drilled a new hole in the main mount or just used the clamping force of a hi tensile bolt and large washers - but it works). I could have cut the muffler tabs off and reattached them but I was not sure I could do it Ok.
P3190004.JPG
With muffler lowered and applying a bit of heat to the muffler inlet pipe to bend it towards the exhaust manifold - and leaving all the muffler mounting bolts loose until final fitting, I was able to get everything to line up and go together. All works great and has been like that for quite a few years and many thousands of Km.
P3190007.JPG
Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Rabbit 16v

Post by Rabbit 16v »

Same issue with mine. Same vendor. I told him about it and sent him pictures. He is probably still depleting what he had. here is what I did:
Attachments
IMG_20180305_163035319[1].jpg
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

Mine was like Garrys middle photo, I cut the brackets off and re welded them to the correct positions.

Dave
Adam

Post by Adam »

Awesome, obviously common problem, will solve with welder and angle grinder!! Cheers