Push Rod Tube/Rocker Oil Return Tube Rubber Seals

AustHaflinger

Push Rod Tube/Rocker Oil Return Tube Rubber Seals

Post by AustHaflinger »

Where the push rod tubes and the rocker oil return tubes go into the crankcase there are crushable rubber seals that fit over the end of the tubes.

When I had to rebuild my engine a few years back I bought quite a few of these seals for when I the tappets and need to take the rockers off. Now on my second engine build a year after the first some of these squishable had split but the oil leak was only minor.

Now for the past couple of months, due to an oil leak from the right hand rear wheel hub that wheel has been jacked up very high (just havn't had time to fix). This has effectively made the right hand side of the engine higher than the left hand side.

As a result there is a large pool of engine oil under the engine :(

It looks as if it is coming from the front left of the engine - this is where the oil return for the rocker and I am assuming (hoping) the oil seal has split allowing the oil to leak - noting that in normal driving the engine oil is generally level where when it is jacked up the high point for the oil is the passenger side front.

Now these seals are not all that old and as they have split (and have previously split) I am assuming the ones I have bought are reproductions made from cheap rubber that does not squish very well. Now if I remember correctly the push rod seals are a brown colour and the rocker oil return seals are light grey even though they otherwise look the same.

So where can I get new old stock seals rather than repro seals. On all my cars, I have always had issues with repro parts, particularly made out of rubber (one landrover rubber bit perished in its package even before I could use it).

Thanks

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Re: Push Rod Tube/Rocker Oil Return Tube Rubber Seals

Post by Julian B »

I _think_ the original OEM ones were an off white colour; can't recall what colour mine are now, but I do remember Dale once saying that not all of these seals are of the same quality. So don't just buy the cheapest (not suggesting you did!).

Does Dale not do the off white OEM seals any more?
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Gary, why did you have to mention "oil leaks "? Specifically, for the oil return pipes? I am busy running Alf's engine in, so not pushing it and obviously more conscious of oil leaks!!

Just been checking the engine over and there is oil showing on the little lip below the engine number. It looks like it comes from round the corner. Now I am trying to work out where it could possibly originate from....

Possibilities:-

The oil filler tube gasket.
The fuel pump gasket.
The oil return tube squished rubber seal(s)
The oil return gasket on the rocker cover.

I would like to solve the oil leak issue even though it is very small as the rest of the engine appears to be oil tight (unlike the Diff gearbox).

Hope I don't have to take off the engine tin ware as they are a pain to deal with and now I have just fitted the rubber seals round the engine bay.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:Just been checking the engine over and there is oil showing on the little lip below the engine number. It looks like it comes from round the corner. Now I am trying to work out where it could possibly originate from....

Possibilities:-

The oil filler tube gasket.
The fuel pump gasket.
The oil return tube squished rubber seal(s)
The oil return gasket on the rocker cover.

Hope I don't have to take off the engine tin ware as they are a pain to deal with and now I have just fitted the rubber seals round the engine bay.

John
The obvious place is the oil return from the driver's side rocker cover - that will show up around the engine number. This and the other spots you have listed should not mean removing tin work, however if it is a pushrod seal (which you have not mentioned) - hmm if it is not leaking - much - I would leave it alone.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)