Engine Governor Oil Leak

rogerm

Engine Governor Oil Leak

Post by rogerm »

Hello All,

So after a 12 month rebuild my Haflinger has no oil leaks ... well almost !

I have replaced both the nitrile oil seals on the governor (which are not the source of the leak).

Oil is leaking between the shaft and the pulley and dripping down the outside of the pulley. Page 1/30/0 of the parts manual. The pulley is part 5, the nut is part 30.

Any ideas how to get this to seal ? Do I need to put some thread sealant on the pulley as I push it on the shaft ?

Thanks

Roger
AustHaflinger

Re: Engine Governor Oil Leak

Post by AustHaflinger »

Sorry I cannot help with that - I have found the governor is really unnecessary but you do have to be careful in lower gears. It robs a little power in driving it and the little butterfly in the inlet manifold obstructs airflow into the engine just a little even when fully open.

My engine does not have it on.

But I agree oil leaks are an annoyance.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
rogerm

Post by rogerm »

If others have this issue ... I put gasket sealant on the shaft / inside the pulley and it appears to have worked.

Threadlock didn't work.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Sorry, didn't get round to answering this question.

I take it you mean you had an oil leak from where the shaft comes out upon which you fit the pulley? Did you replace the oil seal in that aluminium cover? The pulley has to come off the shaft, then you can undo the nuts that hold the aluminum cover on to the body of the governor. The cover comes off with the shaft still going through it and shows you the weights which control the lever which goes to the carb.
So you can pull the cover off and replace the seal, but you also need to make sure there isn't a ridge on the shaft where the new oil seal will sit and attempt the seal. A ridge on the shaft will make short work of a new seal and it will start leaking again pretty soon.

There is another seal on the shaft which comes out the side of the governor's body which can also leak so if you are going as far as dismantling the governor, then replace that as well.

Threadlock is not designed to provide sealing capabilities, so I am not surprised it did not work. Still, I hope you have managed to cure the leak as Gary pointed out, Oil leaks are the bain of old vehicles!

How about some photos of your handiwork? A picture showing a bone dry governor would be interesting....

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!