Clutch dramas

Adam

Clutch dramas

Post by Adam »

So after full respray and rewire and putting back together, clutch has decided to not play properly!! Was working fine before and haven't had clutch/ engine/separated since! As soon as I try engage clutch, gears start grinding!! Doesn't feel like there is any clutch at all, like I said, worked fine before body came off!!
Any ideas, just want to drive her!!
Cheers
heinkeljb

Re: Clutch dramas

Post by heinkeljb »

Adam,

I take it it has been sat immobile for quite a while? Does the clutch pedal actually "feel" like it is doing anything, i.e. does it push against a spring?

Either way, I think what has happened is the clutch plate has stuck (rust / clutch plate dust gunk) to the flywheel. Obviously you now need to free it.

One way would be to "bump" start it in 2nd gear down a slope you can continue to drive on when it has started. Then playing with the clutch / brakes / accelerator you should be able "break" it free.

The other way is to take the engine out and clean the clutch / flywheel / clutch release bearing. Put it back together again and then enjoy driving it!

Another way would be to jack the back end up, put in axle stands and make sure it is very stable with the rear wheels in the air. Then put it gear and start the engine - On idle, try keeping the engine revs up whilst you try and stall it with the brakes.

Hopefully it will go "twang" and release.

Good luck,

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Adam

Post by Adam »

Cheers john, jacked up rear wheels and started in gear, found all gears using revs and no clutch, gearbox seems fine. Vehicle was only disassembled for 5 or 6 weeks, so don't think clutch plate has stuck?? When rolling in gear with motor off there is a definite clunk in transmission?? Leads me to think something has let go in clutch?? I'm getting pretty proficient in taking out motor, think I'm going to have to??
Adam

Post by Adam »

Will try stall in gear with brakes in morning, only thing I haven't tried
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I really cannot help much here I have not had clutch issues - I have had the engine out twice but not taken the clutch off the flywheel. However when putting things back together I always had problems getting the clutch withdrawal bearing sorted - it floats on a bunch of springs and one always seems to have fallen off when going back together. This upset the operation of the clutch withdrawal bearing (really it should be called the clutch operation bearing). So maybe you had an issues with this on reassembly and it is this component that is not working right - in either case engine needs to come back out.

Let us know how you go.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Adam

Post by Adam »

Cheers, put new springs on withdrawal bearing last time engine was out and all was good! At least pulling the engine out is fairly easy, shame because it looks so pretty with all the tinware on!!! All part of the fun, thanks!!!
Adam

Post by Adam »

Springs came out of thrust bearing!! Don't know how but all fixed and driving. Clutch started slipping after about half hour of driving, not sure if there is any adjustment or suggesting that clutch plates stuffed????
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Adam wrote:Springs came out of thrust bearing!!
Thought it might be that.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Try your clutch lever by hand, should be between 10 and 15 mm of free play before you hit the pressure plate resistance. Adjust the clutch cable at the adjuster in the steering box next to the master cylinder.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!