Crankshaft end float

Adam

Crankshaft end float

Post by Adam »

After reassembling bottom end on my haf I have about 1mm end float. I can hear a small knock as I take it up from one end to the other. Manual says .2mm is perfect, Dale seemed to think extra play isn’t too much to worry about but as heads are still off it is quite easy to strip back down and possibly shim the crankshaft! I didn’t change anything along crank, just dismantled and cleaned.
Any thoughts???
heinkeljb

Re: Crankshaft end float

Post by heinkeljb »

Have you put the bearing behind the flywheel on the wrong way round? Just a thought.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

Still in the safe zone on end play but to correct, you can check in this order, #1 use thinnest shim at crank pin to flywheel to reduce play,#2 rear main bearing thrust surface worn= replace if out of spec, #3 and most common cause of excessive end play is worn crankshaft thrust surface.
I have used 2 types of repair for this. Easiest is to machine the thrust surface down and make an insert to bring surface back to spec hight.
Welding/remettaling is the other option.
Excess end play causes wandering timming as clutch is depressed or released.
Hope that answers your question.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Thanks for replies, I am fairly sure I have bearings right way round, flywheel end bearing is the only one I could potentially have got wrong but Dale seemed to think the locating pin was offset so could only go in one way?? He was going to check or if anyone knows would be great to find out!! If bearing is correct I will go down your path Jim and try shim and rectify thanks for help