Governor V belt

peter_m

Governor V belt

Post by peter_m »

Could somebody tell me the dimensions of the governor v belt? Mine has suffered in storage, or the mice have been at it.
Thanks
heinkeljb

Re: Governor V belt

Post by heinkeljb »

8 x 500 according to the parts book.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
peter_m

Post by peter_m »

Yes, that's the trouble, that's only part of the dimensions, there's also the height and profile, both of which are missing.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I'll dig through my spares and see if I can get you the dimensions. It turns out there are two sizes of belt depending on whether your governor has the mechanical throttle linkage or not. Normal Haf should run a belt 8 x 450. If you have a PTO and therefore the mechanical throttle linkage then the belt is 8 x 500 - so use you old "grotty" belt to work out which one you have.
At the very least I will take some measurements of one of mine and post tomorrow.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
peter_m

Post by peter_m »

Hmmm, the existing belt appears to be 500 x 8 x 5 allowing for a large proportion of the belt still stuck in the pully V's. I thought all the HAfs had a mechanical linkage, certainly mine has and it doesn't have a PTO, it has a flap in the induction pipe linked to the governor
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Sorry, only got back late so haven't managed to look at my selection yet.

The Haflinger has as standard, a hand throttle in the cab, linked to the accelerator pedal.
The governor has a linkage that goes to a butterfly plates in the block under the carb. This controls the power available when you put your foot flat on the floor to just under Max revs - unfortunately, due the method of reducing the amount of petrol / air mixture coming into the engine, you also tend to get very rough running when sitting at Max revs whilst driving.

The linkage I was describing above is a separate lever attached to the rod that comes from the governor to the carb, in the engine bay. This allows you to set a fixed RPM of approximately 3000 whilst you are stationary and using the PTO, when used in combination with the hand throttle in the cab. Same idea as your lawn mower or generator. Allows for more power under load, whilst keeping revs a set level.

I assume there are two pulley sizes as the parts book lists 8 X 500 and the handbook / workshop manual list 8 x 450. So presumably earlier Haflinger - MKI have the 8 x 450 and later MKII's have the 8 x 500.

The belt on the governor on Lurch, when it was still fitted, filled the pulley and was more or less flush with the outside diameter of the pulley.

I'll have a look tomorrow in daylight.

John

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I could only find one belt in my quick rummage around. It appears Lurch was fitted with the set of pulleys that used the 450 belt.
govenor belt 450 x 8.jpg
I put an outline drawing of the belt with some dimensions for you. You can buy the belts from the various parts suppliers if you can 't find a supplier local to you.

John