Double pulley nut.

Tajman

Double pulley nut.

Post by Tajman »

Hello,
I wonder if someone could confirm the size of spanner I need to tighten the double pulley nut on the engine that must be on the end of the crankshaft.
It also has the starting handle claw and governer pulley. In the parts handbook , its is listed but with out the size.
I have measured across the flats and it appears to be 27 to 28 millimeters. Whilst in the vehicle it is near impossible to get a socket on it, even removing the support plate for the starting handle and tow bar. So I intend to get a flat ring spanner to tighten it. When I rebuilt the engine , I did not touch that nut, I should have checked! Otherwise , she's going well.
After a run out in the winter sunshine and a brief check in the engine bay, I notice it was lose.
Best wishes to all.
Jeff.
Attachments
IMG_20210916_110947592_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210916_110902916_HDR.jpg
heinkeljb

Re: Double pulley nut.

Post by heinkeljb »

I'll have a check tomorrow morning what size the nut is as far as my metric spanners go.

It should be tightened to 14mkp, Now I know you have no idea what that means in any convention you are familiar with, so I found you a conversion site:-
https://www.calculand.com/unit-converte ... +%5Bmkp%5D

so stick the 14mkp in the left hand side box, choose which ever standard you understand / have a torque wrench for, I am guessing lbs/ft therefore = to 101lbs/ft near enough!

You need a very deep socket to be able to fit past the starting handle connection, so using a spanner of a suitable size for the nut, then get a two foot long bar you can attach with wire / jubilee clips so that yo have a two foot extension on the spanner. Now all you need is a spring balance that goes up to 50 lbs. Attach the spring balance at the end of the extension and pull until you it 50lbs (50 x 2 = 100lbs/ft). Then just for good measure, tighten it another couple of degrees.

All done!

Enjoy driving you Haf now you have got it running!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I have just done this job. I used a 27mm socket about 3" long - it is the same size as the wheel nuts on my Landrover 101. I dont know about torque - the pulley is keyed so I just did it up to about the same as it was - does need an extension bar.

To get at the pulley you need to remove the lower panel (two bolts either side) that holds on the the rear door.
PXL_20211117_050000268.jpg
PXL_20211117_050356466.MP.jpg
Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Sorry, didn't get a chance to go and measure the nut, but it looks like Garry has provided that part of the equation. Torque value provided, but if you just want to do it up "tight" then Garry's 3 foot breaker bar extension would do the trick if you did it up tight using force at the end of the breaker bar!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Tajman

Post by Tajman »

Great thanks,
I managed to get a 27 mm spanner and it was the correct fit.
So I may "adapt" the other end of the ring spanner so I can get a bar on it or get a socket and take off the tow bar and lower panel as Garry suggests.
Jeff
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Simple way - don't ruin a good spanner - ruin a cheap piece of pipe! Find a piece of pipe about the right size an flatten one end, as you make it into an "Oval" big enough to slip over the open end of your spanner. Get the spanner deep enough in the pipe and you can then use the pipe as an extension bar on your spanner in the same way as a breaker bar.

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Yes dont use a open ended spanner - the torque required is likely to allow it to spin on the nut burring it over - get a socket. It fits the dynastarter as well so can go into your tool kit.

A thin ring spanner might fit though.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)