Zenith Carb springs

gren_t

Zenith Carb springs

Post by gren_t »

Hi chaps, It's been awhile since I've had the opportunity to work on the Haf due to my landrover eating a valve and destroying the engine - cue new engine :( then 6 month old Turbo shit the bed on the new engine due to (I suspect) ingesting slivers of Ali head that stuck to the impellor fins - so while waiting for new turbo I thought I do something constructive and hopefully cheap on the Haf.

So I got around to replacing the ignition components and had a little trouble starting and keeping it running, the points and condenser will be replaced for an electronic system when I get the time, however cue various poking around rechecking what I had done on the ignition :? then found it was out of fuel ...oops basics first idiot..! :oops:

This has prompted me to sort out the Zenith carb, can anyone give me some guidance on the location of the throttle return spring I also have a return spring attached to the opposite side of the carb that I don't think should be there.

Anyone have a photo of an original Zenith carb in-situ.

This is what I have at present:
IMG_5062.JPG
Comments as ever greatly appreciated
Attachments
IMG_5061.JPG
ogdenenterprise

Re: Zenith Carb springs

Post by ogdenenterprise »

The parts book shows a spring attached at the front underneath the body to a bracket for the choke knob lever. The second one is the same that is fitted to the right hand side of your photo which is connected to the pump rod. It does not have the spring attached to the accelerator rod to the left of your photo.

Dave
sorry that should have read hand throtle bracket not choke bracket.
Last edited by ogdenenterprise on Wed May 04, 2022 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

At the moment I do not have any return springs on the throttle cable side of the carb - I just rely on one on the other side.
Carb Acceralerator Pump Link.jpg
This works well but I might put another spring on the cable side in a similar position to help with the return function when lifting off the throttle.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

The linkage from the throttle pedal to the carb is really quite long and has a number of joints in it. These rust / gum up with lack of use and make the throttle reluctant to close wen you take your foot off the pedal. In your picture, the spring on the left is there to help return the throttle to the closed position as the one under the gear lever is obviously too weak. A well known mod was to put a "bungy cord" with the hook under the pedal and up to the door strap mounting bracket to do the same thing!
The spring on the right of your car is for the accelerator pump - there is a post on here somewhere which shows which holes it should be in.

The choke cable is a solid wire cable so doesn't need a return spring on it, but one might be useful if your cable is sticky.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
gren_t

Post by gren_t »

Thanks chaps I'll keep what I have, but will tidy it up somewhat with new springs and tabs to locate the springs so they are Linear.

A colleague at work is in the process of buying an industrial ultrasonic parts cleaner for his Dept. and has asked me to spec it up for him, I suspect the original requirement for it to fit PCB's may be expanded somewhat possibly to fit a carburettor. :D

cheers all