Engine strip down.

Rick K

Re: Engine strip down.

Post by Rick K »

Nice work Julian. I thinks it's marvelous that you could refit the original crank case and have correct matching numbers. Cheers from Sydney. Rick
1963 Haflinger 700APTL (ex- Hydro Tasmania)
several Puch scooters[/size]
ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

Well done , its a nice feeling when you finish the task.
Dave.
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Proof it works :D

MOT test booked for next Friday; need to try to bed the brakes in a bit first as they are a little bit vague but it is difficult to do this without being allowed on the road.

Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I thought the pipe off the air filter went upwards as there is a mounting bracket and a hole in the top cross beam?

Well done for getting it going. I need to do the same with mine now.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

My air intake tube is not original - it is a strange beast; I do have a spare (new) tube with the bracket to fix it to the rear cross member, but have never got around to fitting it.

I have also included a paper element air filter box between the oil bath and the carb, but kept the "proper" flattened intake box in case I want to put it back on at a later date. Whilst the original type, I do prefer the security of the extra filter ...
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Julian,

Mine has this sort of arrangement. I assumed you would only have he sort without the paper filter box in it if you had the cyclon filter fitted at the front of the Hafi as per the "Tropical" setup. Did they fit it to 1972 variations?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

John, what you say makes sense (ie no paper air filter going with cyclone intake), but I'd never thought about it before. When I bought my green (1962) Haf it came with the flattened box that goes between the oil bath and the carb, and the short pipe in the photo above; I swapped out the flat box for one with a paper filter, but didn't bother to change the short tube. I doubt it ever had a cyclone filter when new, but could be wrong. Maybe Constantin knows more about the development of the air intake systems?

I'll look at it in more detail tomorrow, and may fit the slightly longer tube that also fixes to the rear cross member.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi Julian,
Your engine looks terrific! Very tidy bit of work on your part. Where does the voltage regulator reside in your truck? I ask as I don't seem to see it in the RHS rear corner of the engine compartment which is where they are on the Haf's that I'm familiar with.

S-D-P issued a Service Bulletin in September 1971 advising that early Haflingers with Weber carb to install the paper air filter system and discard the cyclonic filter. I know that all Canadian Series 2 Hafs came equipped with the paper air filter system so that would cover mid-1966 through 1973 trucks. I'm don't know if this was the case for Canadian Series 1 Haffys but will ask a friend who has a 1962.

Cheers,
Steve
pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Hi Julian,

congratulations, very well done! Everything looks fresh and proper... great!

Steve, the voltage regulator sits in the right upper corner of the front engine compartment (in the picture above, it would be behind the oil filler cap). It's a different version of the regulator and without extra housing.

Kind regards,
Constantin
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Hi Steve,

As Constantin says, it is in the front right corner of the engine bay - this photo was taken by me in 2009 after my first attempt at an engine overhaul. As far as I am aware it is "correct" for the period.
Attachments
DSC_6981_adj.jpg
DSC_6981_adj.jpg (186.68 KiB) Viewed 2142 times
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Thanks Constantin & Julian for the info on the regulator location. I can understand why Puch would have changed to the extra enclosure but wonder why they changed the regulator type.
Cheers,
Steve
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

My Beast is a 1973 version and it has the regulator in a box on the side of the engine bay as expected. Maybe the factory just used what ever they could get hold of. The regulator like Julian's one does not have the extra cover so maybe it was put in the top corner to keep it as far away from outside world and rubbish as possible?

John

Julian B

Post by Julian B »

HaffyHunter wrote:Hi Julian,
S-D-P issued a Service Bulletin in September 1971 advising that early Haflingers with Weber carb to install the paper air filter system and discard the cyclonic filter. I know that all Canadian Series 2 Hafs came equipped with the paper air filter system so that would cover mid-1966 through 1973 trucks. I'm don't know if this was the case for Canadian Series 1 Haffys but will ask a friend who has a 1962.
I have just had another look at my green 1962 Haf, and there is no hole in the upper rear cross member where the "normal" long air intake tube fixes to the chassis. Therefore I can only imagine that it originally came with a cyclone air intake?
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Hi Julian

Both my 1963 Haflingers have their voltage regulators in the same place as all the later models. I wonder if the 1962 Indonesian Army Haflingers had theirs in the early or later locations, as I'm guessing 1962 was the cross over year for moving the voltage regulator.

Also, my early 1963 civilian Haflinger, which was not fitted with the cyclonic air filter at the front, had the same cyclonic air filter bolted directly to the oil bath filter. Whether this was an oricginal fitting, I cannot say ( but bet Constantin would know if this was typical). fascinating all these little differences.

With kind regards

Rick
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Rick K wrote:Also, my early 1963 civilian Haflinger, which was not fitted with the cyclonic air filter at the front, had the same cyclonic air filter bolted directly to the oil bath filter. Whether this was an oricginal fitting, I cannot say ( but bet Constantin would know if this was typical). fascinating all these little differences.

With kind regards

Rick
The parts manual shows an alternative air intake with a cyclonic air filter in the engine bay.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Hi Rick, Do your 1963 Haflingers have the small removable side panels in the engine bay? If so, perhaps the move from what Constantin used to describe as Pre-Series to Series 1 during approx. 1962 to approx. 1963 also brought in the revised voltage regulator location?

I have several different versions of the Parts Manual, but until I looked at the latest acquisition this morning I had never seen the engine bay cyclone intake. Thanks for pointing that out.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Hello Julian

Yes, the early 63 Haflinger does have the 2 removable side covers, however it does not have the fire wall access holes to the top of the check straps, so someone cut them in. This one also has the stamped sheet metal engine sump guard, as opposed to the later tubular type.

With regards

Rick
pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Hi everyone,

some comments from my side:

1) I think that Julians configuration of oil bath air filter without any intake pipe or cyclonic air filter is original. Looks the same e.g. on early Austrian Army Haflingers.
2) Regarding the Series: In July last year, I sent out an email to the yahoo group with the intention to re-think the Series designations, especially because "Pre-Series" is somehow not suitable for Haflingers which actually came out of a series production. So I'd rather call them "Early Series 1". The switch from early to "normal" Series 1 was not done within one certain day. It appears that vehicles like Julian's were still made with the early specification while e.g. Swiss Army Haflingers already had some updated features, like the fuel tank etc.
3) Regarding the voltage regulator, I think that Julian's Haflinger is also probably one of the last ones with the upper mounting position. Swiss Army Haflingers of the same era have the regulator already in the lower position, however it has to be said that this is the one for suppressed ignition and it is larger - possibly the reason for switching the position and making it the same for all models later on.

Kind regards,
Constantin
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

"The switch from early to "normal" Series 1 was not done within one certain day."

Hi Constantin,
I've wondered if this is not also true of the transition from Series 1 to Series 2 Haflingers as well as the switch to the higher horsepower engine with Zenith carburetor?
Cheers,
Steve