Engine Build by Leolardo Castiglione in California

Westernair

Engine Build by Leolardo Castiglione in California

Post by Westernair »

OK as some of you know my motor was worn out and in need of a rebuild. It was leaking and burning excessive oil everytime I drove it. It turns out my crank had about .100 end play and that was what was causing all the leaking. Since Leo helped me diagnose my problems, I decided to send him the motor to do a complete rebuild of it. Once he had it and was able to do a complete inspection of it, he estimated that the motor probably had in excess of 200K on it!!!

Well the build has been comming along slowly but sherly and it should finnally go on the dyno this weekend for testing and break-in.
Here is the discription from Leo.

the barrels are the new 40 hp VW BIG BORE KIT THEY JUST CAME OUT WITH... THE PISTONS ARE FLAT TOP AND CLEAR THE VALVES WITH NO ISSUES... THE ORIGINAL PISTON RINGS ARE THROWN AWAY AND REPLACED WITH GRANT PISTON RINGS.. OF HIGH QUALITY. THE ENGINES CASES ARE DECKED AND THE BORES ARE OPENED UP TO FIT THE BARRELS WITH A .005 CLEARANCE ON THE BARRELS. THE BARRELS ARE MACHINED SO THE PISTONS COME UP TO THE TOP , BUT NOT INTO THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER. THE 83MM KIT IS A VERY NICE PACKAGE FOR HAFLINGERS PLENTY OF FINS FOR COOLING AND NOT TO HIGH A COMPRESSION WHERE ONE WOULD USE PREMIUM FUEL. THE HEADS WITH THE STAINLESS STEEL VALVES HAVE 8MM STEMS AND BIG VALVE HEADS FOR BETTER COOLING ... THIS SET UP PRODUCES MAX HP AT 3000 RPM COMPARED THE THE FACTORY SETTING OF 4500 RPM. THE HEADS ARE VERY SPECIAL AND FLOW MUCH BETTER THAN FACTORY HEADS.MANY HOURS WENT INTO THE DESIGN CHANGES.TITANIUM COLLERS WERE NOT USED BECAUSE THE CAM WILL ONLY LET THE ENGINE REV TO 5K ..THEY OFFER NO BENEFIT AT THAT RPM. BUT THE BEE HIVE SPRINGS OFFER MUCH HIGHER RPM IF NEED BE.. LIKE 7000 RPM IF A CAMSHAFT WERE USED TO ALLOW IT.. THE CUT DOWN CHROME MOLY COLLERS TO FIT ON TOP OF THE BEE HIVE SPRINGS ARE VERY SMALL AS IT IS...( STATE OF THE ART) THE CARBURETOR IS FACTORY AND I HAD A GUN SMITH BORE THE POTMETAL CASTING AND HAD OILLIGHT BUSHINGS INSTALLED SO ( NO MORE LEAKS)
Westernair

Re: Engine Build by Leolardo Castiglione in California

Post by Westernair »

I had made a few mistakes in the discription and have edited my last post. Thanks Leo for the correction.
Cant wait to get her back and start using her!
walderse

Post by walderse »

Ever consider going this route?

http://www.lnengineering.com/custom.html

The last I heard, Raceway Services in Salem was planning to use aluminum Posche cylinders on the two Haflinger engines they are currently building.

Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
Westernair

Post by Westernair »

walderse wrote:Ever consider going this route?

http://www.lnengineering.com/custom.html

The last I heard, Raceway Services in Salem was planning to use aluminum Posche cylinders on the two Haflinger engines they are currently building.

Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
VW cylinders and pistons are cheap, and readily available. I would love a set of nickie's but price and maintenance are my concerns. I am not looking to build a race motor. Just something reliable with a bit more kick.
Westernair

Post by Westernair »

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I think is rather pointless to build a motor with more "oomph" unless you can deal with the Haflingers engines known failure points. Now I do not profess to know anything about the Haflinger engine, but I have had a few vehicles in the past, all of which had, after years of service, known failure issues. Things like first generation Smart cars that burn valves due to oil rings sticking. If you don't cure the reason for the sticking oil rings, just replacing them and the valves will mean the engine will fail again in a similar fashion at some time in the future.
So if what I read about the Haflinger engine is correct, the valve gear and oil pump / bypass valve are the weak points. Rather than seizing pistons. These need to be sorted before a high(er) BHP engine is going to be reliable long term.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Westernair

Post by Westernair »

Good points and ones that Leo has addressed. I have asked him to chime in on this, but oil pump / bypass was changed to a new ball bearing sytem that dramiticly changes it.
He builds these motors up to 1,000 cc for Fiat racers and it extreemly knowlagable the inherent issues the stock Puch motor has.

Here is the vid of its first fire up

http://youtu.be/SZOfKNzqOJs