Starting an engine for the very first time

Julian B

Starting an engine for the very first time

Post by Julian B »

It'll be a week or so before I am ready to do this, but are there any Top Tips for what to do before starting an engine for the first time after a complete re-build? Indeed, before that is there anything that should be done during the re-building process itself - in terms of pre-lubrication etc?

For example, should the oil galleries & oil filter be pre-filled with oil, or the engine turned by hand (or the starter motor?) with no spark plugs fitted to help with lubrication? Should I use a different oil for this initial period?

Any ideas gratefully received,

Julian
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
HaffyHunter

Re: Starting an engine for the very first time

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi Julian,
Be sure to use engine assembly lube on the crankshaft main bearings, camshaft bearings, camshaft lobes, cam follower shafts, valve stems and rocker arm shafts.
Lightly lubricate the cylinder walls and piston ring grooves with 2-cycle motor oil during assembly.
Lubricate the bottom flanges of the cylinder barrels and mating surfaces of the cylinder heads with engine assembly oil.
Lightly lubricate the threads on the long cylinder head studs with engine assembly oil prior to torquing the head nuts. Tighten the head bolts in a diagonal pattern in 3 or 4 stages of torque settings.
Use medium strength Loctite on all other major assembly nuts and bolts.
Lightly lubricate the inside of the bushing in the center of the flywheel nut with engine assembly oil.
Fill the crankcase to the proper level with 30Wt or 10W-30Wt non-synthetic motor oil. Try to get motor oil with a high zinc content. Hand turn the crankshaft about 6 full turns and check the oil level. You should see a drop in level if the oil filter and oil cooler have filled. Top up the oil level and look for leaks.
If you find leaks fix them now then fire the motor up. After a short break-in run (~1 hour) at varying engine speeds, change the oil and filter and look for any metal contamination.
Don't run at full throttle for the first 200 miles to allow all the bearings & piston rings to seat properly.
Re-check the head bolt torque settings and valve tappet clearances and look for oil leaks after the first 30 miles.
Cheers,
Steve
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Steve, Thanks for such a comprehensive list - I'd never have thought of many of them, so your input will be hugely helpful !

Julian
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Your very welcome Julian.
One other item I forgot to mention was that you need to stagger the gaps of the piston rings at approx. 120 deg intervals from each other before inserting the pistons into the cylinder barrels.
In case you are unfamiliar with engine assembly lube I've included this picture of some of the brands commonly used here. You may find others in the UK. Check at auto parts and high performance accessory shops for their recommended brands.
Cheers,
Steve
Attachments
Engine Assembly Lube.jpg
Engine Assembly Lube.jpg (35.91 KiB) Viewed 2037 times
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Julian B
W Sussex, UK

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Those should be fine.

Sounds like you are completing an engine rebuild in less time than it has taken me to rebuild the front hubs / steering / brakes on my Haflnger! You do have the advantage of a building in which to do the work - being outside in the weather we have had this winter has just put me off. As I have another vehicle which I use to get to work and back, the Haflinger is not quite the priority it might be.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Thanks, John. Yes, I am very lucky to have the facilities that I do have, but by the sound of it my work is much less of a challenge than you have been having!

I am having a broken stud removed from one half of the crankcase - a firm in Burgess Hill is using a spark erosion process (which sounds very complicated!, but am assured that it'll work). I hope to order new bearings etc any day now, and hope to start the re-build in a week or so.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Spark erosion done correctly is the best way to get broken studs out!

The problem is finding someone who can do it properly. I have had harden steel taps removed using the process which basically uses a spark to vaporise the broken unwanted metal. The one place I went to basically turned the casting into scrap as they obviously turned the juice up too high and heated the work piece to much.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi Julian,
Yes, those products look perfect.
Have fun,
Steve