Haflinger lacks power

heinkeljb

Re: Haflinger lacks power

Post by heinkeljb »

Just purchased mine from Haflinger Technik in the UK and it cost £26 or there abouts. It is just the various gaskets - does not include any jets or shafts etc.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi John,
Ouch! Sorry to see such an exorbitant price for the Gunk cleaner in the U.K., it's only about $35.00 CDN (22.00 GBP) here. You can likely get good results with a long (1-2 days) soak in degreaser then blast the parts with an aerosol carb cleaner.

Mike, your best choice to get the proper carb kits is Scott Ingham at Expedition Imports or from Robert Prokschi in Austria (Leonardo Castiglione is Robert's USA agent).

The complete kits are no longer available from the various manufacturers but you can get a basic gasket set from VW performance suppliers and Unimog dealers. However, these gasket sets do not include the correct gaskets for the choke plate that is used on Haffy's. The remaining pieces that you will want need to be ordered as individual items from Scott or Robert. You will certainly want an accelerator pump (unique type for Haffy's), check valve and suction valve (accel. pump chamber), needle valve, and possibly the large mixture screws. The jets are normally re-usable after a good cleaning so replacement shouldn't be necessary unless they get damaged during removal or from severe corrosion. It's easiest just to let Scott or Robert know that you want a complete set of gaskets and whichever rebuild parts you feel you need and let them fill your order. I would usually also recommend Dale at Haflinger Technik as a source for these items but I know they no longer have the check valve and suction valve available and they almost always need to be replaced.

Cheers,
Steve
Tennmogger

Post by Tennmogger »

Steve,

I don't have my Haflinger home yet to start work on it but your listing of parts sources is very valuable info. Thanks!

With several Unimogs running the 32NDIX carb, I appreciate the trouble getting the accelerator pump operating correctly. But, once correct, the carb will be trouble free for many years.

Bob
1952 Willys M-38, Unimogs from 1957, 1965, 1970, 1975, 1978, 1988, and a 1968 Haflinger NA bugeye!
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi Bob,
Glad to be of help to you any time. Having completely restored every detail of my Haflinger over a 3 year period, I've pretty much discovered all the shortcuts and pitfalls of what to get and where to get it in the Haffy world. These vehicles have some very unique details in their design which makes parts substitution extremely difficult to say the least so if you get stuck on how to do something or where to go for bits and pieces just drop me a note and I'll be glad to share what I have or know.
Cheers,
Steve