Haflinger lacks power

heinkeljb

Re: Haflinger lacks power

Post by heinkeljb »

My original "build data sheet" states that my hub gears are 2.22 ratio so next question for those who have the "high speed" Hafi - on standard wheels, what speeds do you get? i.e. safe top speed, best cruising speed?

Anyone done a long term fuel consumption log?

Just trying to work out if I still have a problem that needs sorting - Fuelling / electrical / mechanical.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi John,

I also have 2.22 ratio gearing and can reach 48mph on flat road. I've actually made 55mph on a good downhill run but I don't recommend it as it is quite unnerving with twitchy steering. I typically hold my cruising speed at near 40mph and the Haf seems to be very happy and stable with that.

I haven't put enough miles on my Haf to do long term fuel consumption logs. I drove 340 miles last summer and consumed 12 imp. gal. of premium grade fuel so that's about 28 mpg.

Cheers,
Steve
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Thanks Steve,

Was that with standard wheels? I am sure it you put slightly bigger diameter wheels on the top speed will go up, but it might be more difficult getting there! Mine seems to max out at 39MPH (GPS speedo) and approx 42 / 43 Hafi speedo!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi John,

That's with standard wheels and new Maloya tires.

Cheers,
Steve
Attachments
P1000100aa-091111.jpg
P1000100aa-091111.jpg (98.31 KiB) Viewed 2079 times
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I have now been driving Lurch on a few trips and it appears he is suffering from a bad worn / setup carburettor.

Can get to an indicated 40mph (GPS 36mph) and it sticks there quite well. Doesn't really want to go any faster EVEN down hill !? Pull the choke out and things improve.

On the flat with the choke out can get to 45mph indicated (GPS 40/41mph) but if I leave the choke out when I come to traffic light or have to stop, engine dies as if flooded.

I assume this means something like a hole in a float, or a blocked jet. I have taken the little cover off the side of the Carb and blown clean the 4 jets that are there. - am I missing some other ones?

John

Rob

Post by Rob »

Hi John,

Is it the governor ?

If it is a PTO model then there are two settings adjusted by a lever on the governor.

Cheers,

Rob
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply and suggestion.

Sadly it does not have the PTO option. Would be nice to have, but seems there is a lot of things to retro fit one.

I haven't taken the governor to pieces yet to adjust the speed setting as I don't think that is the issue. Speed does not increase as you would expect going down hill (unless it is very steep)!

The hand book even warns you that the governor does not work to control speed going down hill when the vehicle is pushing the engine rather than the other way around.

Also, why would applying the choke have an effect? The governor basically closes off the inlet stopping the petrol /air mixture from entering the engine.

I will disconnect the governor at the weekend and see if it makes a difference, If it does, that would make it a relatively easy fix - here's hoping!

John

Rob

Post by Rob »

Hi John,

Not sure about the choke & downhill issues but the governor is yet one more variable to eliminate.

Mine was disconnected by the last owner claiming it limited the power too much, however it was a two setting PTO type. Basically the standard item with an extra spring and preload setting. All I had to do was reconnect and set the lever for road mode.

I suppose transmission friction at speed acts as its own governor !

Cheers,

Rob
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi John,
The problem you are seeing is definitely not related to the governor. I've mentioned this in several other post but will say it again, do not run your Haflinger without the governor connected.
The problem is either air leaks in the intake system due to poor gasket condition or is internal to the carburetor.

You don't say which carb you have so here are a few common areas to look for regardless of model.

1) Float level set too low so there is insufficient fuel in the bowl at higher engine speed. You mentioned a possible hole in the float but this would cause engine flooding which is opposite to the symptom you described.
2) Worn or hardened accelerator pump plunger.
3) Improper adjustment of accelerator pump linkage.
4) Stuck check valve in the accelerator pump chamber.
5) Dirty high speed jets and/or internal fuel passages and nozzles.
6) Air leaks in the carb body gaskets and o-rings.
7) Wrong high speed jet size installed.

To properly clean your carb it must be completely disassembled and given a thorough soaking in good quality carburetor solvent. I would start with this if I were you. Replace all gaskets with new ones when you re-assemble and install the carb. Merely blowing air through the jets is quite ineffective unless you are extremely lucky.

Cheers,
Steve
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Thanks Steve,

It's which one? Durrrr, I'll go and have a look.... Be back soon. :roll:
Haflinger carb.jpg
Haflinger carb.jpg (120.71 KiB) Viewed 1973 times
This one! :D

There does seem to be a bit of play in the alloy bearing which is fastened to the inlet manifold and which has the governor rod in it. I will see if I can get a new one of those from Dale. Which Carb gasket set do I order? The Zenith or the Webber?

John

HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi John,

You have the Zenith 32NDIX carb.

Steve
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Thanks Steve!

John

Tennmogger

Post by Tennmogger »

Wow, you could have push me over with a feather when I read that! The 32 NDIX is the same carb on my 404 Unimogs. Can that be correct?

What high speed jets are used for the Hafi? The 404 'mog uses 140's, or smaller for higher elevations, down to 125's).

Bob
HaffyHunter wrote:Hi John,

You have the Zenith 32NDIX carb.

Steve
1952 Willys M-38, Unimogs from 1957, 1965, 1970, 1975, 1978, 1988, and a 1968 Haflinger NA bugeye!
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi Bob,

Only the Series 2 Hafs (including US Pathfinder) used the Zenith 32NDIX. High speed jets can be 95 thru 115 in Hafs. My Canadian truck engines have 110's. The Series 1 Hafs used Weber or Solex carbs.

The 32 NDIX was a very common carb in its day and could be found in M-B, Porsche, BMW and Ferrari vehicles to name a few. It was also a very popular upgrade for the VW dune buggy fraternity.

Cheers,
Steve
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I have now go a Carb gasket kit but I have never come across Carb solvent in anything other than aerosol spray cans. What can i use to put in a bucket so I can dump the whole Carb into it?

Most Carb solvent is much more volatile than petrol so even if I could find enough liquid to put in a bucket, it would all evaporate within a couple of hours!

Is it worth putting a load of "Redex" type stuff into the fuel and running that through? Most of those containers say they treat a full tank (70 litres) so basically it would be doubling the dose if you emptied a whole one into one of our tanks. Any harm from doing that?

John

HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi John,
I don't know if these products are available in the U.K. but I use a system by Gunk. Have a look at their video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3aUVh3e62I.
I don't think that "Redex" will provide much help in your carb's situation.
After you have rebuilt the carb use a fuel stabilizer product with each tank of petrol. I like Lucas Fuel Stabilizer and find that the more I drive my Haf with it , the better the carb works. You use 1 oz. of this with 1 gal. of petrol.
Cheers,
Steve
Attachments
Lucas Fuel Stabilizer.jpg
Lucas Fuel Stabilizer.jpg (21.63 KiB) Viewed 1833 times
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Would not "normal" degreasing fluid in a de-greasing bath not be OK for a carb? The stuff I have is very "thin".
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi Julian,
Although I've used degreaser in a dunk tank on carbs I find that it's not as effective as the Gunk product at removing fuel varnish that accumulates in the passages and jets. My favorite general-purpose degreaser is "Grez-Off" by SprayNine. It's very agreesive and will even remove paint if left long enough but is bio-degradeable so a little more environmental friendly than petroleum based degreasers.

Steve
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I am not sure I will be using the Gunk product, have a look at this:-

http://www.applegate.co.uk/listings/sto ... 28096.html

That's a MINIMUM order of 20 units plus VAT at 20%

So I will have to find some thing different.

John

cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

Is there a more specific number than Zeneth 32 NDIX? I'm trying to get a rebuild kit for mine, and I hit a wall, with the vendor saying they need more data.
They kept asking for the specific application.. when I told them, the phone went dead for 10 seconds..
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder