Haflinger "mileage" indication. What's "normal."

cascade.king

Haflinger "mileage" indication. What's "normal."

Post by cascade.king »

What have people found to be "reasonable and customary" odometer readings on their Haflingers?
I assume the civilian models have lower "clock" readings than the military units, but since these vehicles have specific design characteristics, the miles traveled would reflect that.

What are the experiences of forum members.. And what odometer reading seems like a harbinger of the mechanapocalypse?

(I ask because I was shocked at my "new" Pathfinder's odometer reading.. but more on that later..)
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
AustHaflinger

Re: Haflinger "mileage" indication. What's "normal."

Post by AustHaflinger »

My 73 has 55,000km on the clock.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Mine is obviously a baby, only 26,000 odd miles!

I think as a 4x4 it depends far more on HOW they have been driven to reach what ever mileage they have. It could be a very tough / neglected short mileage. I had to basically rebuild the front hubs on mine as the one leaked and the other had water damage.

John
Last edited by heinkeljb on Tue May 28, 2013 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

My truck, "Murphy", has 6486 miles on him.
John is right. It depends very much on HOW they have been driven and cared for. Mine was so bad when I got it I nearly scrapped him for parts but my innate stubbornness won out.
Cheers,
Steve
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

My Pathfinder first sold in 1976 has 21,530 kms (high for a Haflinger), but she was very well cared for by the one proud owner and shows no real sign of wear. I only recently fitted a new set of 80.0 rings to the original pistons!

Contrast this to my ex-Hydro Tasmania 1963 Haflinger with only 5756 miles, which I bought dissassmebled for wrecking as it was so worn out. These were helicoptered into the rugged wilds of Tasmania to survey new hydro-electric dams, a job thats as tough a job as I can imagine for the wee Haflinger.

So agree that odometer reading alone wont predict the state of wear and what you will be up against.

Rick
Attachments
Wrecked after only 5756 miles
Wrecked after only 5756 miles
DSC00456.jpg (61.8 KiB) Viewed 3661 times
1963 Haflinger 700APTL (ex- Hydro Tasmania)
several Puch scooters[/size]
walderse

Post by walderse »

Hello to all,
My brother, Sean, was just able to pick up a US-spec 1971 North American Pathfinder with under 10K miles on the odometer. There is real concern that the body may be too far gone to attempt restoration. Since his purchase price was only $200, one cannot be too picky. By comparison, he also owns a 1971 Canadian-spec NA truck with 9,362 miles. it could use a bit of a respray but is otherwise in very fine shape. No rust or signs of past owner misuse.

His real low mileage champ is his 1970 ex-Swiss Army traner #6 with only 54km (that is NOT a typo) on the odometer. This is as origianl factory fresh as one is likely to ever see. The truck will be on display at the Military Vehicle Preservation Association convention in Portland, Oregon this coming July (25th-27th).

Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
Ole

Post by Ole »

Mine has approx. 90.000km if the odometer is the original one. Do we have any over 100k km on this forum?
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Mine is 66,000km.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

The Haflinger that I have / have had have clocked much less, ~15,000 miles, 13,500 miles and 16,000 miles*. All UK civilian.

* equivalent to 24k, 21k and 26k km
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

heinkeljb wrote:Mine is obviously a baby, only 26,000 odd miles!

Posted 26 May 2013!!!

John

Lurch now has ~ 39670miles BUT that is with at least 3 different engines in it's life!!

Doesn't make for amazing reliability statistics does it?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Ole

Post by Ole »

I have been spoiled with old Toyotas going 300,000+ km without much more than a few wear items replaced. I have a feeling this Haflinger experience is going to be much different.
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

John makes a good point; I don't think any of my Hats have had the same engine throughout their life. :shock: :shock:

EDITED TO ADD: I wonder what the figures are for their "Fiat 500" type road cars? I sincerely hope that they are MUCH better!!!
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |