Fitting Oil pressure gauge

heinkeljb

Fitting Oil pressure gauge

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi peoples, :)

I am thinking of fitting and oil pressure gauge using an electrical sender due to the distance a piece of tubing would have to travel.

So the question is: what is the size and thread of the oil pressure switch?

I will need to put a "T" piece in so I can have both the "idiot" light and the pressure gauge connected but there is no room where the pressure switch is at present to be able to put both directly on to the casting. This will mean a piece of piping and a remote mounting of said units. In order to do that I need to know what the original size and thread of the hole is.

I am thinking a banjo bolt and pipe to a "T" piece mounted on the engine compartment wall like the coil. It will have to have a piece of flexible tubing to take up any movement between engine and body work unless I mount them on the engine itself some where.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Re: Fitting Oil pressure gauge

Post by AustHaflinger »

John - not sure this will help as I have the oil tube style oil pressure gauge in my Haflinger - however I have everything coming out the one hole that the original pressure switch went into.

In the pic the brass adapter screws into the hole that the pressure switch went into. You can see the pressure switch is at the top of the adaptor and the oil pipe to the gauge to the left. There is actually another blanked connection on the right. Your electric sender would probably fit in one of the ports in the adaptor.

Unfortunately I did not do the installation so I am not able tell you what sizes etc.

Good luck

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

John, if it helps I have a "spare" engine case that you (or I :D ) could use to work out the thread size, and I may also have an old sender unit in my box of bits to take similar measurements from. Let me know if you want me to have a rummage ...
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I am sure I could buy a variety of those types of adapters Gary, and find one that fits. It's just that... I would have to buy several to find the one I wanted. So I thought I would ask before going to that expense.

I am hoping it is a standard 10mm x 1mm size as the rest of the vehicle is metric, but It could just as easily be an imperial thread as it is an electrical item that is bought in and then fitted. In other words, not something made directly in the factory.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi John,
The oil pressure switch has a 10x1mm thread. You may want to consider an oil temperature gauge instead of oil pressure. A lot of air cooled fanatics feel that oil temperature is more critical and provides an earlier indication of trouble.
Another option is the modified oil filter housing offered by Robert Prokschi. The Prokschi part number is TUP37 and the cost is 36.00 EU.
Cheers,
Steve
Attachments
tup37.jpg
tup37.jpg (32.46 KiB) Viewed 2739 times
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:I am sure I could buy a variety of those types of adapters Gary, and find one that fits. It's just that... I would have to buy several to find the one I wanted. So I thought I would ask before going to that expense.
John
In Aust the adaptors often come with a range of fittings to suit most applications. However I would just pull out your oil pressure sender for the light and take it long with you and match its thread.

I had not thought of Steve's suggestion for oil temp but makes a lot of sense - not sure of the modified oil filter housing though.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
walderse

Post by walderse »

John,
You might find something like this helpful.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VDO-Oil-Pressur ... 0798450605

Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Jim,

The link shows a "T" piece that on the face of it would work. Just not sure from the description if the male thread is 10mm x 1mm as it only mentions the female threads. I take the 1/8" pipe mentioned to mean a 1/8" hole drilled down the middle, but that is an assumption on my part and you know what assumptions make........!

I was looking at this:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370812882843? ... 1423.l2649

or this with a bit of pipe on it, going to a "T" piece:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390334594985? ... 1423.l2649

The bottom one would allow you to point the pipe part in any direction you wanted. The other one would mean less "making" of bits to achieve the end result, but it also costs more!

John

p.s. Just thought, maybe I should have put this thread in the "modifications" section....

Yakov

Post by Yakov »

Here's my take on fitting an oil pressure gauge and sender:
IMG_0176[1].JPG
I used a 100 PSI VDO gauge and sender unit, and installed it by screwing an M10-1/8NPT adapter into the engine where the oil pressure sender goes, then a grease gun hose, the longest I could find (this was the most readily available and cheapest solution, as a braided steel hose isn't available at every store), at the other end of this grease gun hose is a Haflinger 3-way brake fitting. I retapped the centre port for 1/8NPT and the other two ports have the stock warning light sender and the new VDO sender via another M10-1/NPT adapter (I happened to choose a 1/8NPT thread sender rather than an M10). This whole assembly was bolted to the body and grounded via the bolt that holds the bottom of the engine access hatch (the short bolt there replaced with a longer one, obviously).
IMG_0177[1].JPG
Seems to work well for now.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

As you say, your take on the theme.

My only concern is the grease gun hose staying flexible enough to cope with the engine vibration in the long term. I don't know how they cope with heat cycles so I would suggest you keep an eye on it for cracks and splits and therefore loss of oil pressure.

John