Power plant. What's the weight?

cascade.king

Power plant. What's the weight?

Post by cascade.king »

An easy question if you have pulled the motor.. But a hard one to gauge without experience..

Since my engine has developed a severe case of oil incontinence, I'm going to pull it and give it a full going-over. My wife is not impressed with the newly aquired oil-stains on the garage floor.

Seems small enough to lift and place upon my workbench without issue, sans air cleaner assembly and exhaust.

I've seen the film from SDP showing the two dudes just popping the unit off, but since I am neither 23 years old, Austrian, or gullible enough to believe everything shown in an old promo film, I figured I'd ask..
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
AustHaflinger

Re: Power plant. What's the weight?

Post by AustHaflinger »

Where is the oil coming from - mine leaked like a sieve but all it was, was the oil filter housing - the little washer at the top was damaged.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi Mike,
It's not a big deal to pull the motor, but not quite as easy as shown in the S-D-P factory video. Take the carb and dynastarer off first and this gives better clearance to slide it out. I use a motorcycle/ATV jack and it rolls in and out like a kitchen drawer. I can lift the motor without the dynastarter by myself but I'm nowhere near young anymore so the bike jack is the cat's meow for me.
At the age of your machine and the length of time it has been dormant that you previously mentioned it's a good idea to pull the motor and replace the front and rear crank seals anyway. The other oil leak trouble spot is the bottom of the pushrod tubes and oil return tubes.
Cheers,
Steve
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

The unit has been leaking for awhile, so the entire thing is a greasy mess. Now, it's just leaking more than before.
I'm not sure where the oil is coming from, I'm going to guess pushrod tubes, but I think it's from multiple positions. Basically, it needs a multi-seal-ectomy. It'll give me a chance to freshen the whole thing.

Still, how much does the unit, dynastarter attached, weigh?
30kg? 45kg? 70kg?
Mike
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

I never weighed my engine when it was out, but even without the Dynastarter it would be notably more than 30kg (comparing it to my memory of lifting a 20kg sack of grain). With everything attached other than the Dynastarter I could "just" lift it single handedly (maybe) ... so I doubt that it is much less than 50kg.

(Speaking as an overweight 50 something year old who doesn't want to get a hernia) :oops: :)
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

I will try to weigh a spare engine tomorrow and let you know a more accurate weight. :idea:
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

Westernair

Post by Westernair »

Before you pull it, i suggest you steam all the old gunk off of it. Then consider buying a black light and small bottle of oil dye and pour it into your motor. Run it for 10 minutes and look for the dye with
A black light.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

What ever it weighs, I would suggest you use two people to move it / carry it. You don't want to drop it by mistake.... It's the only engine you have and it will take forever to find another!

Steam cleaning / power washers are bad for cleaning engines as they force water in to places you don't really want it to go. Particularly if you are going on using the engine. They are fine if you intend to strip and clean the engine as you can get rid of the water from where it should not be.

Much better just to use a biodegradable engine degreaser / brush and then wash it off with light water pressure from a hose or hand sprayer.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

I weighed a complete engine today (complete with Weber carb, manifold, tinware & Dynastater, but no oil) and it weighed ~66 kilograms.

I don't have a spare Dynastarter to hand - and didn't want to remove this one today - but it probably weighs 5-10kg?

Hope that helps,
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

Helps a ton! Now I know the rolling box I have can take the weight. Anything over 250 lbs, and I would just lock it to a bench..
Thank you!
Mike
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Sorry Julian,

I am sure I have read this before, but it obviously did not stick in the brain that you had posted the weight of the engine! Must be getting old!! :o

Next time I take my dynastart off (I need to put in some new brushes). I will weigh it complete with fan and cowling.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!