Carby Heating Pipe

AustHaflinger

Carby Heating Pipe

Post by AustHaflinger »

Playing around with my Haffie yesterday I noticed a lot of engine fumes in the engine bay. Investigating further I have a small crack in the pipe that joins the exhaust manifold to the underside of the carby. Though the crack is barely visible, when the engine is running I noticed a lot of fumes and water bubbling from the crack.

It will need welding up which is not such an issue however when I was looking at all this the actual pipe was quite cold when I expected it to be warm to hot from the exhaust. So how hot should this pipe be as it is supposed to provide a heat source for the carby.

Thanks

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Re: Carby Heating Pipe

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Gary,

Dale at Hafinger Technik has repair pipes designed to be brazed in as replacements for those Carb pre- heat pipes. Not cheap - near enough £100 the pair. - I too,have a hole in that pipe! Just to the right of the carb manifold, right in between the two pipes. So can't really get at it and I think the pipe metal is so thin there that I am looking at replacement, major repair.

I would not weld the pipes, but use braze as it has more "give" and won't shrink like weld causing splits elsewhere if the metal is thin.

I would expect the pipes to get warm, then hot from the left hand cylinder as the curve of the exhaust manifold directs some gas up that pipe. i.e. the exhaust gas travels from left to right when looking at the engine from back of the vehicle.

It is possible in a hot climate that it is not needed and that it would cause fuel starvation - so maybe there is a blocking / restricted gasket on the left hand side joint?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thanks John - yes intended to braze weld the crack - just a pain to pull all the bits off to do the job properly.

I don't think Aussie haffies were any different to European Haffies with regard to the heater pipe - while it does get awfully hot here in Summer and maybe not as cold as Europe in winter, overnight temps here at the moment are -5 and the coldest is still 6 weeks away.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Well I finally got around to taking the inlet manifold, carby heat pipe and carby off - was easy and only took about 30 minutes. When I had a closer look at the crack it was clear that it was just the tip of the ice berg and on cleaning up I now have large holes that will require patching rather than welding up cracks. When the pipe was being being made and bent the outside metal is thinner - too thin and any internal corrosion causes holes.

The pic - a bit of work to do :(

Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Why don't you leave it with the holes! :lol: The boy racers swear it will go faster if it makes more noise..... :o :roll:

At least your repair is in an easy to mend section of the pipe. Mine has a leak in between the two pipes right where they join the carb mounting block. Later on this year I will take it off to do something about it, but currently it is not so bad that a bit of aluminium, exhaust paste and a jubilee clamp hasn't sorted.

Show us the finished item so we can complain about your welding skills! :D

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote: Show us the finished item so we can complain about your welding skills! :D

John
All done - with a Mig patch. Was going well until it blew through a thin spot I hadn't spotted - destroyed the cosmetic weld that was looking good, not so much now. Tested it with water in the pipe - no leaks and given a coat of paint so no pics of the repair.

My carby has been running erratic with no throttle so while it is all off I will pull it all apart and clean it out and statically set it up before getting a proper tune up. I only get half the fuel consumption of other haffies and I think it is running very rich.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I think a combination of repaired pipe (no leaks) and a cleaned carb will do wonders for your fuel consumption.

John