Engine rebuild heads

jkslvr

Engine rebuild heads

Post by jkslvr »

Looking into a rebuild of the heads. Some valve leaking and smoking.
What is the basic process to do the heads. Any good part suppliers?
heinkeljb

Re: Engine rebuild heads

Post by heinkeljb »

Like any cylinder head! It depends why the engine is smoking.

If you get a cloud of blue smoke all the time then it needs new rings and possibly a re-bore.
If you get a puff of smoke when you "blip" the throttle or when you put your foot down whilst driving then you need new valve guides. (If you nee new valve guides it makes sense to put new valves in at the same time)

Replacing valve guides can be done at home, BUT I would say get an engine rebuild shop to do it for you as reaming the guide and re-cutting the valve seats is quite difficult without the right tools.

As far as parts suppliers go, the are several world wide, so if you had put your location in your profile we would know who would be the best source.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
jkslvr

Post by jkslvr »

I'm I the us.
Colorado
Ill update my profile

It's a valve guide issue. White puffs on startup after a long sit. And some puffs when the throttle is blipped
After warm up it dies down to pretty much no smoke

What are the head bolt sizes and the torque values when I reinstall the redone heads and new gaskets
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Studs are M8 - So 8mm diameter.
Torque is:-

2.5 kilopond meter = 24.516624999 newton meter

2.5 kilopond meter = 18.082534628 pound-force foot

See this post for supplier.

http://thehaflinger.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=428

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!