Dipstick Tube

SAM

Dipstick Tube

Post by SAM »

Hi All

Does anyone know if the dipstick tube is threaded into the engine casing or if it is an insert in the casting?

I am getting some stuff plated and I am wondering if I can grip it and screw it out but I don't want to mess it up if it is an insert.

Thanks

Sam
heinkeljb

Re: Dipstick Tube

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Sam,

Sorry, I am not going to be much help as I haven't taken one of these engines apart yet. Looking at the parts book exploded diagrams, the first pictures of the crank case show the dip stick tube in place. The ones showing the governor show a hole where it would fit.
At the least that suggests it can come out. I would try "unscrewing" it first, as if it is screwed in. Then that will allow you to undo it, and it it is only a push fit in a rubber grommet the way the oil return drains from the cylinder heads are, then "unscrewing" it with slight tension on it will also allow you to remove it.

Personally, I wouldn't bother getting it plated as it is quite likely to get covered in oil and gunk very soon after you put it all back together again and put the money saved towards other things that you will no doubt have to buy for it.

Having said that each to their own, if you are planning it as a show engine, then a bit more "bling" is probably not a bad thing!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Westernair

Post by Westernair »

Take a torch and heat the case boss, then carefully with a set of plyers you can pull it out. It is just pressed in.
be carefull as the tube will smash it you put to much pressure on it.
SAM

Post by SAM »

Hi Chaps

Thanks for that, I am glad I asked. I will leave well alone.

Sam