Tropical Air Intake Plumbing

AustHaflinger

Tropical Air Intake Plumbing

Post by AustHaflinger »

As I am intending to use my haffie offroad I am going to have to rig up the plumbing to the front air intake. I have the pipes but cannot see where they leave the engine bay then go under the vehicle to come in to the cabin near the gearstick.

I have had a look at the parts manual and it shows the plumbing but not where it leaves the engine bay - so any advice and pics would be appreciated.

Thanks

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Re: Tropical Air Intake Plumbing

Post by heinkeljb »

I thought there was a hole in the bulkhead on the left hand side as you look from the back of the vehicle. It would be below the hole that allows you to access the top suspension mounting (If your Hafi has them)

I'll have a look at mine a bit later to see if it has the hole or an indent where the hole would be. I don't think mine was ever going to have the snorkel, but they might have had a generic bulkhead for all variations.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thanks John - I would have thought something like that as well but nothing is obvious.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Gary,

Well I had a good look. My Bulkhead does not have even an indent that would show where the pipe went! The parts book seems to show that it goes straight forward after turning in that direction. That would suggest it goes through the bottom piece of tinware that makes up the left hand cooling shroud. Or it goes more to the left to go round that bit before going through the bulk head.

What you need is a picture of the engine bay without an engine in the way. I think there is one on real4x4 (techMog'ies clutch thread). Don't know if his had the snorkel.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Scrub that as a useful picture! The only other picture I found was exactly what you need except it was from a hafi that did not have a snorkel - So they appear to have different bulkheads.

Hopefully some with the snorkel will be along to provide guidance!

John

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Gary, I found this on the yahoo group photos:-
Engine AFTER.....
By humloop2000
Steve's 700
Haflinger
snorkel pipe fitment.jpg
snorkel pipe fitment.jpg (149.8 KiB) Viewed 3119 times
It shows the pipe going through the bulkhead, but that still leaves you with finding out how it gets there - through the air cooling shroud or round it?

Every little helps (I hope!)

John

Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Garry. I can take some pics for you but the path of the tube is quite convoluted. Best to have a good look at a haffy in person. If you are in Sydney at any stage you are very welcome to have a look at mine. My 63 ex- Tassie hydro Haflinger has not been re-fitted with fuel tanks, tool boxes etc so the pathway for the ducting is easy to see.

John- thanks for posting that pic. It shows the exit point quite well. There is then a convoluted tube that finds its way to the oil bath filter. The interesting thing about this pic is the Roman numeral in red on the firewall and the engine. A few of my haffies have similar numbering. Constantin and I have assumed this was to help match the correct engine to the body then the Haflingers were shipped to Australia in ' completely knocked down' (CKD) form, where they were re-assembled in Australia to reduce import duties. Do you know if this pic is of an Australian Haflinger? It would be interesting to know if this applied to other export destinations as well.

Regards

Rick
1963 Haflinger 700APTL (ex- Hydro Tasmania)
several Puch scooters[/size]
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thanks for that pic John - so on mine that cut off pipe equates to the lower large grommet in these pics of mine.

Thanks for the offer Rick but I should be right. I have all the pieces and how they go, so should be able to work it out. By the way - Aussie PVC plumbing ventilation pipe is about the same diameter so could be used if needed - you can get 30, 45, 60 and 90 degree bends and if painted in satin black paint would look about right.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

I am still waiting for engine parts ,so here is a photo of the engine compartment & rear air pipes, if you need any other part photos let me know.
Dave
Attachments
engine compartment & rear air pipe.jpg
engine compartment & rear air pipe.jpg (218.14 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thanks Dave
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Rick,

The photo is "borrowed" from the Yahoo group. I put the relevant persons details just above the picture so you can find him. I know not if it is an Aus'one - Maybe his details will allow you to contact him?

Gary,

The bottom hole on your picture would be in the correct place for the pipe work. Dave's photo suggests the pipe goes round the air shroud which will make life interesting when you come to fit the pipe in the engine bay! What's the betting you have to dismantle half the engine to fit it?

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:Gary,

The bottom hole on your picture would be in the correct place for the pipe work. Dave's photo suggests the pipe goes round the air shroud which will make life interesting when you come to fit the pipe in the engine bay! What's the betting you have to dismantle half the engine to fit it?

John
Actually will fit in quite easily - just need to take the air filter housing off and the fan housing and all should be good.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Here is a pic of the pipe sitting in the engine bay - looks so obvious but at the time I was all confused. Fits in very easily.

Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Always easy when you KNOW how!

Looking good, but I am not convinced that having such a long intake path does much for the breathing of the engine.

Still, it obviously works or it would not have managed to be fitted to all the "tropical" Haflingers.

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:Looking good, but I am not convinced that having such a long intake path does much for the breathing of the engine.

Still, it obviously works or it would not have managed to be fitted to all the "tropical" Haflingers.

John
I agree - the top of the carby has a diameter of 60mm where the air pipes only have a diameter of 32mm so quite a difference. Likewise the inlet and outlet pipes on the oil bath air filter are much smaller in diameter than the inlet to the paper air filter housing - there is certainly a mismatch in sizes in the inlet system.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)